PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I like to leave the bands on. I think at their best they can add to the smoking experience asthetically. The bands on Dapper Cigar's la Madrina and Broadleaf Borracho come immediately to mind. Beautiful.
Sometimes, the heat from smoking helps to loosen the glue for easier removal.

Black Label "NBK" Corona Larga, with a band that I don't particularly care for

1000002244.jpg

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
@PipeWI @jpmcwjr

In the early ’90s, I remember Cigar Aficionado recommending leaving the band on the cigar until the glue was warmed sufficiently enough so as to avoid tearing the wrapper. I have continued this practice since then; I only remove the band when I get to the last third or quarter. The band, depending on how it is printed, also provides some texture and grip that helps. Some bands these days cover 75% of the cigar (Camacho comes to mind) and must be slipped off prior to lighting.

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
When did leaving the ring/badge/advertisement on the cigar become a thing?

Some 50 years ago when I smoked cigars, everyone removed the (whatever it's called) prior to lighting up. That seems to be not the case anymore. Anyone know when and why this change occurred?
Manufacturers seem to be using some sort of industrial space glue that is super strong and often bleeds on to the wrapper. Peel off the band and get a nice hole in your cigar. The age old theory is that as the heat of the cigar gets close to the band, the glue will loosen and you can easily pull off the band without damaging your smoke. Still not always the case.

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
I do because the heat of the cigar helps melt the glue on the band and makes it less likely that any stray glue spot tears the wrapper. I think I learned that from when cigar AFICIONADO used to be CIGAR Aficionado.
Agreed. This method does work for me as well in most cases. Manufacturers now seem to be using some sort of industrial space glue that they use pretty liberally, and bands now are freaking huge too. I swear I spent 15 minutes trying to remove FOUR bands on an Esteban Carreras Devil’s Hand a few weeks ago! All that said, as a former printer, I’m a sucker for a well printed/embossed band.

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
After a discouraging day at work, a Punch Clasico, some Four Roses Small Batch, and some Star Trek Clasico.

I had one of these cigars in October, and detested it: no flavor, no aroma. I may have been getting a cold, though, because today’s is very nice. I may have to get some more.

View attachment 310758
Welcome!
Hope the evening was better than the day