PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pappy Coon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2024
Panhandle of Nebraska
I am suffering through a bowl of C&D crooner. I love lakelands and I love the smell of deertongue, but I can’t stand this vile leaf in my pipe. Trying to smoke deertongue makes me want to lunt my sad little ass off a cliff. Am I doing something wrong?edit: I can’t do it. Switched to Hal o’the Wynd
I feel your pain. I gave away a whole can of crooner minus the one bowl I tried. Can't do it.

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
I feel your pain. I gave away a whole can of crooner minus the one bowl I tried. Can't do it.
I have a tin of C&D, not sure which one but it has deertongue. Smoked one bowl. Still have it. The tin with the lid on ghosted my shop for weeks. It reminds me of walking through the fields as a kid, maybe I'll open the tin once in a while and let it sit, like room freshener, not something I enjoy smoking. My pipe didn't like it either, Casper would cringe!

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A third of the way through the last of my open stash of year 2001 Wessex Campaign Dark Flake in a 2002 black sandblast full bend D.R. Ardor Urano dublin with a slightly tapered far side of the bowl and a black acrylic saddle stem. Had too much left for the Dunhill I had been smoking it in, and not quite enough to fill this bowl. I haven't smoked this pipe in a while, so it got the nod. I'll revisit the rest of this vintage tobacco at some point.
Ardor Urano dublin-tapered.jpg

Silverwing

Might Stick Around
Apr 14, 2024
Bowling Green, KY
I have a tin of C&D, not sure which one but it has deertongue. Smoked one bowl. Still have it. The tin with the lid on ghosted my shop for weeks. It reminds me of walking through the fields as a kid but not something I enjoy smoking.
It is a deeply personal and nostalgic smell tied to many memories of both being in the woods and being around pipes. I have to wonder if using an extract of the plant would help with the acrid smoke it produces. The plant matter itself has this really intense dry, sort of herbal, woody flavor when smoked. Almost like smoking hops. The vanilla and minty flavors are there, but don’t do enough to offset the flavor.

It’s just way too intense and harsh imo. I keep a bag of Crooner in my work bag just for the smell but I can’t smoke it to save my life.

Silverwing

Might Stick Around
Apr 14, 2024
Bowling Green, KY
A third of the way through the last of my open stash of year 2001 Wessex Campaign Dark Flake in a 2002 black sandblast full bend D.R. Ardor Urano dublin with a slightly tapered far side of the bowl and a black acrylic saddle stem. Had too much left for the Dunhill I had been smoking it in, and not quite enough to fill this bowl. I haven't smoked this pipe in a while, so it got the nod. I'll revisit the rest of this vintage tobacco at some point.
View attachment 310558
Really classy looking pipe. I like the spur.

Pappy Coon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2024
Panhandle of Nebraska
I have a tin of C&D, not sure which one but it has deertongue. Smoked one bowl. Still have it. The tin with the lid on ghosted my shop for weeks. It reminds me of walking through the fields as a kid, maybe I'll open the tin once in a while and let it sit, like room freshener, not something I enjoy smoking. My pipe didn't like it either, Casper would cringe!
Many people like it. I wanted to, but just couldn't find it in me.

Status
Not open for further replies.