PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
Man, so many good cheeses out there!
I love aged Irish cheddar and Iberico for snacking. Havarti for sandwiches. Can't make a proper gratin without gruyere or Emmenthaler. Pecorino as a finisher for pasta. Warm chevre on a salad of greens and beets is fantastic. Plymouth cheese, a raw milk cheddar from Vermont is amazing. I have many favorites, I guess.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I love aged Irish cheddar
I'd forgotten about Irish cheddar, it being so long since I had it. Quite a distinct flavour & texture.

My old supermarket used to stock an extra mature (the best of course) Irish cheddar that was quite sublime, especially grated and on toast.

My current supermarket has a variety of cheddars, from mild to vintage to extra mature but all are English.

Jay.

Reactions: Puff nstuff

johnnyflake

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
I have loved most of the cheeses I have tried throughout my life and of course there have been a fair number that I really have not cared for, and a few I could not stand. For me there are a lot of exotic cheeses that I that I find very delightful. However, getting down to basics and a good old fashion cheese that I really love, it would be a well-aged Gouda, smoked or not!

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
The fresh Galician cheeses are spectacular, then there are those of Asturias, which are incredible, and the Manchego cheeses are more of the same. I highly recommend them. Tetilla cheese is very tasty when combined with grapes or quince jelly.
Back in the 90s, we used to buy “queso gallego” in Galicia, where my wife is from. It was made by village ladies, sold in the open air market, and I believe it’s illegal now. It’s definitely one of the best cheeses I’ve ever had.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Australia has very tight border security laws especially regarding food imports
But we can legally bring in up to 20kg of cheese, including unpasteurised ones. Provided they vacuum sealed and we declare they are for personal consumption. 😋
Sorry for the typo
It's 10Kg (NOT 20Kg)

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
But I have absolutely no intention of trying casu marzu - the maggot-ridden Sardinian goat’s cheese
I think it's sheep.

I have been to Sardinia many times but it is not available, it has become illegal and is only sold clandestinely. If you don't know the right people you won't find it.

Too bad, because I was really curious to try it.