PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I'm a cigarette smoker and natural cigar smoker. Id say if you're trying to quit or save money try a Vaper or pure Virginia. If you're bored and want to try something new start with English, and Aros.

If you're new to tobacco get a small sample of a few different things maybe 1 english, 1 Virginia, and a few aromatics. You can order a lot of bulk tobaccos for like 20 bucks with shipping.

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
lol so the consensus of everyone is to try everything cause you just never know what you would like.

Guess I’m gonna have a lot of tobacco then…lol 🤣
Yes. lol. I have over 60 mason jars of tobacco. Now that I found what I like I rarely reach for most of those jars. Sad but true. I cant stand blends heavy with Latakia even though when I started I loved them. Plum Pudding and Bob's Chocolate flake are some I can still smoke that contain Latakia. Once I started smoking some Virginias I made the switch. You just have to try what you can, your tastes will obviously guide you to your top ten.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
lol so the consensus of everyone is to try everything cause you just never know what you would like.

Guess I’m gonna have a lot of tobacco then…lol 🤣
my advice is the opposite. Don't worry about finding what you like yet too much. Try a things that sound interesting or good now. If you like them mainly stick to that until you really need to try something different. But technique and practice and experience will do more to improve your enjoyment then finding the right blends will. And yes it's all three of those things that need to be developed. And they're almost the same thing but not quite. A meh blend smoked properly is better then a great blend smoked like a newb. And as far as technique goes what brings you the most easy joy is what you're after. The goal is for smoking to need only a little attention and to happen without struggle or undo attention and then one day you notice things about the blends you smoke that just were not there previously. But the thing is there isn't a right way to do this.
Or in other words take our advice but never consider it Gospel.

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I would definitely stay away from any obviously moldy tobacco, other than fire away. Some you'll like, others not so much.

Don't listen to the haters, Borkum Riff, Captain Blacks etc are fine blends. That's why they have been enjoyed by thousands of pipe smokers for generations. I start each day with a cup of coffee and a bowl of Borkum Riff Bourbon in a one if a couple Dunhills I have dedicated to the blend. I also have another Dunhill that smokes Captain Black White like an absolute champion, bringing out every nuance in the blend (no really there is some nuance there).

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Several mentions of Borkum Riff.

But not a single mention of Mixture 79 😏
If Tobacco Reviews is to be taken at face value, I would have thought that Mixture 79 would win hand down.

PS I LIKE Mixture 79 😁