PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
So, our own Brian Levine is being interviewed on the Oom Paul radio show?!?!? Downloading it now.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
This is just beyond cool!! To me the collection of Olie Sylvester podcast interviews are priceless jewels for a pipe smoker. If you haven't given them a listen you need to get over to oompaul.com and check them out. And Olie is one cool guy. Easily one of the most interesting and different guys in the hobby.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The Levine interview is 85 minutes long and is really good. This is why we need both the pipesmagazine podcast and the oompaul podcast.

Olie Sylvester at the Chicago Show

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I really enjoyed this show. And I especially enjoyed the much longer interview on OomPaul.com. (Olie's show is exactly what I had expected the PipesMagazine show to be like when I first listened: in-depth, NPR-like, nothing extraneous. And I've learned now that it's the kind of show PipesMagazine specifically decided not to do.)
I'll say this, though: I found Brian's explanation of how he categorizes "pipe" people and "tobacco" people a bit unexpected. I consider myself a "tobacco" person. But that's because my main pleasure in pipe smoking comes from exploring a wide range of blends and brands. To be a "reviewer" of blends. That doesn't mean I don't have a lot of pipes or appreciate the beauty of a high-grade pipe or anything like that. But it means my focus is primarily on exploration and discovery. (I do have favorites I keep returning to, of course.) I think of this like a restaurant reviewer.
But according to how I interpreted Brian's definition, he seems to see a "tobacco" person more like someone who has found a good meal he enjoys --say, meatloaf --so he orders meatloaf at every restaurant he visits. This is like the guy who only smokes Penzance. While I'd call him a "Penzance" person, I wouldn't call him a "tobacco" person, because he's not educating his palate with a variety of blends and styles. He doesn't know tobaccos, per se; he only knows Penzance.
Any of this make sense?
Bob

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Rm I think I would agree with your take on what a "tobacco" person is. When someone smokes a specific blend or maybe if brand they become that said blend or band guy. It's kind of like saying someone who wears only Nikes is a shoes person. To me that would be a nike person, a person who has a 50 pairs of different brand of shoes would be a shoe person. But again that is just my opinion.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I'm a shoe person, and a tobacco person.
One of the goals of the show is to get people talking, so I'm glad we did that in this case.
Thanks for listening guys, and for commenting too.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I love hearing all the different views. The important thing IMO is that no one should feel slighted or offended in any way for being a tobacco person or a pipe person. It's all relevant in our hobby to be one or the other or both at the same time whichever floats your boat. If it pertains to pipes or tobacco I am interested, period. Love the podcasts, and knowing the principals makes it even more rewarding and entertaining. Great job and dedication, congrats to all involved in our entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.