PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

grimpeur

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
J Barber Tobacconist UK has their B Grade pipes ,very nice ones and smoke very well,although many of those are on the smaller side+ stem material is obviously second grade vulcanite and stem finishing may leave something to be desired
I have two of the Barber B-Line pipes.
1000003027.jpg
Can you tell I love a Lovat? I would have gotten more, but sadly Barber ships *nothing* to Canada or the US now.
The quality far exceeds the price, at least with these two. The stems aren't hand-cut from rod vulcanite, but I find them clean and well-finished, they clench well, and both smoke like a charm. I'd like to know who makes them...Parker, perhaps?

Editing to add that the price I paid for these was £40, I think they're up to near £45...not bad!

Last edited:

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I have two of the Barber B-Line pipes.
View attachment 307119
Can you tell I love a Lovat? I would have gotten more, but sadly Barber ships *nothing* to Canada or the US now.
The quality far exceeds the price, at least with these two. The stems aren't hand-cut from rod vulcanite, but I find them clean and well-finished, they clench well, and both smoke like a charm. I'd like to know who makes them...Parker, perhaps?

Editing to add that the price I paid for these was £40, I think they're up to near £45...not bad!
I believe it is Parker. A number of other UK tobacconist stock them as basket pipes as well.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
You sods. Just as I thought I was content, this. Now I have to start searching for a Fribourg & Treyer pipe.

I visited their quaint bow-fronted shop in Haymarket in the 1970s and bought a packet of their deluxe king size filter cigarettes, made with pinstripe paper, which came in a grey hinged cardboard packet. Also a little tube of mentholated snuff. The cigarettes were strong and to this day, the only ones to have given me a whitey - stronger than the old Capstan Full Strength, and that's saying something. Happy days!
Fortunately for you there are a decent number of F&T pipes out there, and they are generally great smokers!