PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcosmoasp

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Having just re-entered the pipe-smoking realm after a 32-year hiatus, I've been reading much of the web site in search of current wisdom. I've never "cellared" tobacco before and wonder what best practices might be. Any suggestions are most welcome.
Bruce

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I just received 1 lb. of ribbon-cut tobacco that was just right for immediate smoking. But since I had purchased such a large quantity for extended aging in Mason jars, I felt that it needed a little more moisture to help with the biology.
What I did seemed to work perfectly. I got one of my wife's Tupperware salad bowls -- shallow with a large diameter. I placed a cup of boiling water in the center and spread the tobacco around the cup. I covered the bowl to create a steam bath. A half-hour later I tossed the warm tobacco to evenly distribute the moisture, and put it up in jars. I didn't go over-board on the moisturization for fear of encouraging mold, but only time will tell.
I think this is a lot easier than some methods I've read about involving spritzing with distilled water. Do you have a favorite method?

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
I tend to like my Tobacco on the dry side; so my question is will a mason jar keep it dry or will I have to resort to something else?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If you just want to preserve it, I think Phil is right. But, if you're putting it up for long term aging, then the microbes are gonna need some moisture.

Maybe python can chime in on this with some of his experience in "canning." (I'm gonna go back and review his article later tonight.)

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Cortezattic Said: Maybe python can chime in on this with some of his experience in "canning."
Here are my opinions on jarring/storing/aging tobacco:
Almost all tobacco will arrive to you, whether purchased in a B&M or online, with the proper amount of moisture and even sometimes a little too moist. I would just jar it up as soon as I got it and put it away in storage. If you are using airtight jars (mason jars are airtight), there is zero chance of losing moisture, but at the same time it will not release any moisture either.
You may need a slight amount of moisture to help it to age, but a very slight amount. I would never add more moisture before jarring it up unless it was completely dry to the point of crumbling. Like I said earlier, the moisture content upon receiving the tobacco is plenty enough to jar it up, with a few exceptions. I would rather store it a little on the dry side than add moisture and risk ruining and losing a large amount of tobacco from mold. I have never had to add any moisture to any tobacco before storage.
When in doubt about adding moisture before jarring, IMO, jar it up on the side of caution and don't add any moisture to it.

By not adding moisture, the worse case scenario is; the aging process MIGHT be hindered and slow it down a bit. But the tobacco will still be smokable even if you have to re-humidify it when you open it so you can smoke it.
If you add moisture before jarring it up, the worst case scenario is; the tobacco will mold during aging and you will lose it all. Keep in mind that you can always re-hydrate it if you have to, but you can not remove mold.
In all my years of storing tobacco, I have never had any problems with mold.
This pretty much refers to bulk tobacco because tins can be stored as is. But if you open a tin and don't plan on smoking it all within a few weeks, put it in a jar to keep it from drying out.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks Bob,

Err on the side of caution. I guess once it's in a sealed glass jar the only enemies are mold and temperature extremes. Oh! and gravity, of course :)

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Phil, opening the jars will allegedly stop the aging process. When you re-close them, it will start another aging process.
Here is a good site that goes in depth on aging and storing tobacco:
http://nocturne.org/aging/fundamentals.php

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Bob, that link is now in my favorites.

I see that I have some work to do.

Excellent information throughout the site.

Even answered the questions I didn't know I had.

Great Link!
Oh, are you the mysterious Bob mentioned and quoted?

Status
Not open for further replies.