PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
My Color Duke arrived yesterday in perfect condition. I'm going to save it for the beach this summer, it looks like a lifeguards pipe.We go to the beach almost every weekend ,living close to the shore. I can't wait to break this puppy out at the beach.

Let me know what you think.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
Sorry I'm having trouble uploading they are in my members album if you want to see them. Sorry I'll try again.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
That's gorgeous brazz!
You have way more will power than I to be able to wait until the Summer to smoke it.
I just had to check where you are from when you said, "living close to the shore".
I see you are in Rhode Island. I am originally from Jersey and we say, "Let's go down to the shore", instead of let's go to the beach.
Here in Florida, people say let's go to the beach and they don't know what go to the shore means.
LOL.
Nice new pipe. Congrats.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Great looking pipe. My favorite shape too!

Can't wait? Why not start breaking it in now, nice and slow. By the time you go to the beach, which is how Chicagoans say it, the cake build-up will help with outdoor smoking issues.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
If you guys keep tempting me I'll never make til summer.But your advice advice makes good sense cortez. Thanks

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
It was a surprise to me also how it went together. It is stamped "ADJUSTOMATIC".I believe that refers to this type of connection.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I love the color and the shape.

I couldn't have waited more than ride home and travel time from the door to the easy chair... and you're talking about a trip to the beach.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
brazz said
"ADJUSTOMATIC".I believe that refers to this type of connection.

In an online article, Dr. Grabow's Alpha Pipes , Alan Schwartz, says
A clever patented device called "Adjustomatic" allows the user to turn the entire screw-fitted stem (mouthpiece) around 360 degrees to align the mouthpiece and bowl, a refinement not available on similar pipes made by competitors.

... and very much needed with those nifty diamond shanks.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
Thanks for the article cortez, I love history, and pipes. So this was the perfect article.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Very cool pipe. Phil, I like the way you got Tiger Woods and screwed in the sentence :)

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Cortezattic, I enjoyed the article, very informative. I'll have to look in to a new pipe. Dr. G. seems to have a lot on the ball.

While I have spent some serious coin on my latest pipes... ten years ago. Maybe it's time for a new one.

Brazz, good luck waiting for the beach.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Things have changed since that article was written. Lane no longer owns Dr. Grabow.It is now owned by International Pipes and Accessories. I don't believe the Alphas are still being made,and the Ajustomatic feature is not available on any of their pipes now.Most of their pipes now have ABS plastic(which holds up better now than some of the earlier pipes with ABS) or Lucite stems.IF you would like to learn more about Grabows check out these two sites--

http://drgrabows.myfreeforum.org/index.php?sid=d524072aafb9f9e10f4ac5ecb343b4a2
http://drgrabow-pipe-info.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.