PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
The cavendish in that blend make it pretty unique. Poplar camp (ribbon cut) from Cornell and Diehl is a va/per with black cavendish as well but it has quite a bit more perique. I think rattrays Marlin flake (flake cut) is also relatively similar to flake medallions in blend components.

Jun 23, 2019
Newb here going from cigar to pipe and tried this tobacco. Loved it! is there any other tobacco that I can try that is similar ?

Thanks!

Welcome to pipes! Davidoff's Flake Medallion's one of my absolute favorites too...:

V8bgm5r.jpg

P Stokkebye No 403 Bulk (Bullseye Flake) is basically the exact same thing.

For something that's similar but with a little variance try Mac Barne's Dark Twist Roll Cake or Vanilla Roll Cake, the casing is quite subtle but definitely adds a different dimension to the smoke.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
That thing irritated my tongue like nothing else. Perique in that blend was just too strong. That was sometime ago. Leaving the rest in a jar for few months helped. But Peterson/Dunhill Navy Roll never had any issues, and super tasty after letting it sit in a jar for few months. Wasn't too impressed with Escudo.

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
So funny how everyone has these different experiences. I'm a huge fan of Escudo and DNR (for the record I find them quite different smokes) but I found the Davidoff medallions to be bland. I want to like them but I don't get much out of them. Will have to revisit at some point.

wackytabacky

Lurker
Sep 7, 2023
Different strokes for different folks.
Im a newb, so when I saw these ‘coins’ it made sense to me, since I saw the dark center, to either tear them apart so the center mixed in with the other tobacco or ‘eeeeek’ drop them in my grinder so it mixed all the tobacco together.

I tried folding them, tearing, taking out the center and sprinkling on top but the way I preferred it was to grind it up to get it mixed good.

Yes - we dumb newbs, but some of us smoked from a pipe for years before turning to ‘real’ tobacco

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Different strokes for different folks.
Im a newb, so when I saw these ‘coins’ it made sense to me, since I saw the dark center, to either tear them apart so the center mixed in with the other tobacco or ‘eeeeek’ drop them in my grinder so it mixed all the tobacco together.

I tried folding them, tearing, taking out the center and sprinkling on top but the way I preferred it was to grind it up to get it mixed good.

Yes - we dumb newbs, but some of us smoked from a pipe for years before turning to ‘real’ tobacco
Hey, if you're enjoying it, you're not doing it wrong.

Reactions: wackytabacky

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Anyone know, which of bullseye have a really strong cavendish flavor? Many none, because the cavendish center is so small, unless someone makes a bigger cavendish center?

hmm 🤔

Reactions: JOHN72
That thing irritated my tongue like nothing else. Perique in that blend was just too strong. That was sometime ago. Leaving the rest in a jar for few months helped.
I had a similar experience with the Flake Medallions - awful tongue bite. I find that rubbing them out completely and leaving the tobacco out to dry for a few hours takes the edge out. Also, the second half of the bowl is considerably mellower than the first. Looking forward to seeing how they emerge from a few months in the jar.

Reactions: UncleRasta

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So funny how everyone has these different experiences. I'm a huge fan of Escudo and DNR (for the record I find them quite different smokes) but I found the Davidoff medallions to be bland. I want to like them but I don't get much out of them. Will have to revisit at some point.
I don't know if this applies but one things I have experienced with the sadly small amount of D.F.M. I have smoked is it starts out sorta bland and just gets richer and richer as the bowl burns down. Starts of nice but ends incredible. It's one of those blends too for me where I always am shocked by it's end. I get into it and then as if for no reason the pipe stops having smoke and I go to stir and relight and realize it's all gone :(.

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
I don't know if this applies but one things I have experienced with the sadly small amount of D.F.M. I have smoked is it starts out sorta bland and just gets richer and richer as the bowl burns down. Starts of nice but ends incredible. It's one of those blends too for me where I always am shocked by it's end. I get into it and then as if for no reason the pipe stops having smoke and I go to stir and relight and realize it's all gone :(.
Completely agreed - I've noticed that more with this blend than any other that comes to mind. I was a little bit underwhelmed at first, but the last third of the bowl or so I find incredibly rich and satisfying. Shame it's so fleeting!

Really nice stuff, there are quite a few blends where I rarely smoke more than half to two-thirds of the bowl as I find the taste really goes downhill - this leaves a completely opposite impression to me.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
That thing irritated my tongue like nothing else. Perique in that blend was just too strong. That was sometime ago. Leaving the rest in a jar for few months helped. But Peterson/Dunhill Navy Roll never had any issues, and super tasty after letting it sit in a jar for few months. Wasn't too impressed with Escudo.
I find luxury bullseye flake irritates my tongue as well but I still smoke it. I have to smoke it extremely slow. I don't think it's the perique as I've smoked some heavy perique blends and never had an issue. So I would put it at something besides perique. Red Virginia doesn't seem to bother me. Perhaps it's that Cavendish center, or there could be a topping or casing used