PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Sad news although I think @telescopes warned this was coming.

My son is going to a soccer ID camp at Lindenwood University in St. Charles next month and I was planning a visit to John Dengler. I guess I missed the boat.
If you are ever interested in Black Maria and the new owner of the store refuses to market her services, let me know. Anything for a friend.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

telescopes

I was there this past weekend and bought some Black Maria!
Larry was there and he said the new owners are going to keep making the J Dengler blends.
That's good news for sure. I wonder if he will be making the private blends for individuals as well. Part of the charm of J. Dengler was that John happily customized blends for customers and kept them in a "little black book."

telescopes

I've never had proof other than what appeared to be some contradictions in the blend descriptions of old and the modern descriptions of the tobacco they now use. Somewhere along the way, I wonder if sources changed or dried up and adjustments were made without updating the current descriptions.

Black Maria mentions Green River in the description but none of the tobaccos in the mix now have that in the description.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Dengler just came up in conversation here at the club meetup - buddy said he bought an ounce of the Baghdad blend and enjoyed it.

Trying to figure out if it's a renamed bulk or if it was blended in-house.

telescopes

Dengler just came up in conversation here at the club meetup - buddy said he bought an ounce of the Baghdad blend and enjoyed it.

Trying to figure out if it's a renamed bulk or if it was blended in-house.
While I don‘t know the in house blend for Baghdad, I do know the one for Black Maria. The problem is that the shipments the B&Ms get seem to have a slight difference than those you might get in lesser amounts so that when you mix the various tobaccos minute differences can be detected. For instance, I am not sure what brand of blending Latakia and Perique he uses. I suspect it is Sutliff, but I am not exactly positive.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a great bit of breaking news. A great tobacco shop is like a great restaurant, a treasure to be cultivated and sustained. Congratulations on having it taken up by a new owner. That is incredible. All best luck to the new management and pipe smokers in and around St. Charles.

Bdtroch

Lurker
Aug 31, 2023
I apologize for revitalizing an older thread but wanted to mention I stopped by the store a few days ago to grab a couple of things and talked with a few people there.

Turns out, I actually know who the new owner is (well, one of the two). Small world. I worked the better half of a decade with him.

Anyway, most things seem to have stayed the same! Employees appeared in good spirits about the change of ownership and the general atmosphere feels like it always has. Hope this is good news of what all is to come of this wonderful shop!