PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I dont have much room but we are growing Tuscan Kale this year. You cant find it in stores but it is easy to grow. I recently started my seeds.

Reactions: STP
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Onions and potatoes went in the ground a few weeks ago.

Kale, lettuce, okra, cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli went in maybe 2 weeks ago.

Everything else will be over the next few weeks as weather and seedlings get ready. Cucumber might go in tomorrow….my timing on them was about a week off and I might just have to put them in a week earlier than I wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dingdong and STP

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I have a small garden, just 24x24. I've planted cherry tomatoes, beef steak tomatoes, roma tomatoes, green peppers, red peppers, bannana peppers, egg plant, broccoli, pink eye purple hulls, green beans, carrots, potatoes, onions, pickling cukes and corn. I can, freeze and pickle. I had to put a net over the whole thing to keep birds out. There is also a wire fence that is 18" below grade up to 32" above grade to keep out rabbits and such.20240511_173322.jpg20240511_173313.jpg20240511_173302.jpg

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Wifey and I are just now starting to grow food in a serious capacity, and frankly, for a couple of former upper-middle class white-collar urban hipsters who moved out of LA into the mountains to the north eight years ago, I think we're doing quite well. We've already gotten our feet wet the past two seasons with indoor container gardening (lettuce, basil, dill, cilantro etc.), and are making better use of a small outdoor gardening area for onions.

Recently, our neighbor offered us a modular greenhouse frame he didn't need anymore, and that was a game-changer. We just got the plastic on it last week, and after some final reinforcements, should be good to go next week. It's about 10'x15', has a big window for ventilation, and holds the heat really well (even in the summer, nights can drop into the 40s). We plan on starting with our tomato sprouts and see how it goes from there.

Will provide pics as soon as I have something worthy of snapping. 🍅

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
In the process of selling my home currently. But gardening is the one thing I'm most excited for when I find a new place.

Reactions: STP

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
My wife does the gardening around the house. Mainly Peonies, Hyacinths, Day Lillies, etc., and little flowering things. I have to feign interest but am not really into it.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I have started. I have some beans, peas, cayenne, habenaros, a few tomatoes, cukes for pickling as well as slicing, zucchini, a couple different types of summer squash, red cabbage, bell peppers, beets, carrots, onions, shallots, and garlic in the veggie garden. Oh, and a watermelon plant to see what happens.
I have new raised beds to play with. I'm curious to see what plants take to raised beds and which prefer in ground with the tomatoes.

Reactions: fireground_piper