PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I went and visited Richard at the Gatlinburlier in the strange tourist strip that is Gatlinburg. He had some vintage tins in a special case. I picked up a 2012 McClelland Arcadia mixture for a reasonable price. He alluded to a friend's recent passing and that he was selling off his cellar for his friend's widow. Richard is the epitome of a gentleman scholar. Had I more time and my family wasn't waiting for dad to do his "tobacco thing" I would have liked to smoke a bowl or three and visit more with this kind wise soul. The pipe wall was amazing I think the website alludes to a pipe wall cam. A quick anecdote that shows his charm, he compared a tin of Sobranie Virginia that he'd acquired in 78 to that girl you stole your first kiss from at camp who got on the bus at the end of summer never to be seen again.

buckle2600

Lurker
Jan 9, 2023
I went and visited Richard at the Gatlinburlier in the strange tourist strip that is Gatlinburg. He had some vintage tins in a special case. I picked up a 2012 McClelland Arcadia mixture for a reasonable price. He alluded to a friend's recent passing and that he was selling off his cellar for his friend's widow. Richard is the epitome of a gentleman scholar. Had I more time and my family wasn't waiting for dad to do his "tobacco thing" I would have liked to smoke a bowl or three and visit more with this kind wise soul. The pipe wall was amazing I think the website alludes to a pipe wall cam. A quick anecdote that shows his charm, he compared a tin of Sobranie Virginia that he'd acquired in 78 to that girl you stole your first kiss from at camp who got on the bus at the end of summer never to be seen again.
My family and I were down there this weekend also. I didn’t get the chance to stop in. I’ll remedy that the next time through. Thanks for sharing your experience.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
My family and I were down there this weekend also. I didn’t get the chance to stop in. I’ll remedy that the next time through. Thanks for sharing your experience.
We had no idea going in just thought oh let's go on down to Gatlinburg a quaint lil TN town, felt like PG rated Mardi Gras. Richard's shop was definitely the best part. Just know that all he has is house blends and those vintage tins no new tins , but again the pipe wall is awesome and so is Richard.

Reactions: Fralphog

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Gatlinburg is proof that beautiful surroundings can overcome an intense tourist industry and make a place enchanting. On a family vacation as a teenager, my dad and I wanted to dress up in bathrobes and stand into the tableaus at the Biblical museum -- just a gentle joke as we were church goers. Years later, my late wife and I stopped there and took the lift to the top of a nearby peak where we went ice skating. It's worth a stop despite the total tourist immersion with some crisp mountain air. We had some good almandine mountain trout too.