Jim's C&D From Beyond 2023 Small Batch Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This goes on sale October 25 at 6 p..m. EST.

The year 2018 Turkish Izmir and the year 2019 Greek Basma provide plenty of earth, wood, vegetation, floralness, herbs, smoke, some spice, peat, mild creamy buttery sweetness, incense, and a little dry sharp sourness as the lead components. The musty, floral, herbal, incense-like, earthy, woody, mildly spicy, sweet, and lightly sour Turkish Latakia offers full support, and at times, nearly equals the effect of the Orientals. The 31 Farms St. James perique offers a fair amount of dried plums, spice, earth, wood, bread, floralness, sourness, light sweetness and smoke in a secondary support role. The year 2017 North Carolina red Virginias produce a moderate amount of tangy ripe dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, sugar, light tangy citrus, grass, and slight touches of vinegar and spice. They are a couple steps below the perique. Almost as important as the red Va.s is the year 2017 flue cured bright Canadian Virginia. Its aspects are some tart citrus, grass, bread, sugar, floralness, sour lemon, light spice and acidity. The nutty, earthy, woody, bready, lightly sugary dark burley is in the background. The strength and nic-hit are a notch short of the center of medium to full. The taste is a slot past the center of medium to full. Won’t bite or get harsh, but typically sports a few small rough edges. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable rate with a mostly consistent mildly sweet and a little more sour, floral, spicy, herbal, smoky flavor that extends to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is pungent. Leaves little dampness in the bowl. Requires an average number of relights. Not an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. This is stronger and spicier than the previous version due to the changes in perique and Latakia. Three and a half stars rounded up to four.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Thanks for the in-depth review, Jim. I watched Jeremy's video on this earlier today and am sold on this small batch.
What are your thoughts on the Turkish Latakia? Do you feel it is better than Cyprian? (If you can even tell that with all the components in this blend.)

And if you see this Jeremy, will we start seeing more Turkish Latakia in more blends going forward?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks! I read the C&D pitch on this and wondered how it smoked. The tobaccos are selectively sourced, but it is a most traditional English blend, modeled after a vintage tin of Nightcap that Jeremy Reeves, the blender had smoked. I like the inclusion of burley with Virginia in English blends,, reminding me of the old Nat Sherman 536. If I weren't so backlogged, I might order this one.

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Thank you for the review, Jim! It’ll be interesting to compare the differences in Perique and Latakia with the last release. This would be the first blend I’ve had the new Latakia in (I think).

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Not selling too fast, it's because it's an English if was anything else it would be sold out same day. But the last batch is a great smoke. This one is gonna be just as good.
They also made 15,000 tins of it. Not exactly “small” batch.
I’m beginning to think that maybe there’s a reason they call them “small batch” other than the size of the batch.

Ghosted Tamper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2023
South West, US
I’m beginning to think that maybe there’s a reason they call them “small batch” other than the size of the batch.
If you look at it from the standpoint of literally one small batch, for all time, it draws a clearer perspective of "small batch". This batch will never be available again as it is released now, nor will it be attmpted to be recreated  exactly the same again.

I very much appreciate C&D doubling, or tripling up the batch quantities from years past on certain "small batches", offering a reasonable quantity available to those who cannot sit at drop minute and rapidly order for FOMO.

Friendly Piper

Might Stick Around
Sep 22, 2023
Northern Virginia
Got three tins (cans?) yesterday and had a bowl last night. Really enjoyed it! I’m not sure it resembled Nightcap for me—but I’ve never had the sort of well-aged Dunhill blend that inspired Jeremy.

Whatever the inspiration, it’s a really good blend. I’m going to let the other two tins get some age in my little cellar.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Really, maybe I'm tripping but the last sunbear sold out within 48 except for P&C because they drop later. As well as the last CRFWP as well Steamworks. The only stuff that I've seen stay up for more then that are arose and English blends.
The only reason I see a "small batch" of 16,000 being named such is because yes they might have the same name but the vintages of leaf is gonna constantly change.
I guess they could change the name to make the gimmick more gimmicky but then they would need to deal with the tobacco laws of new blends and what not.
I buy for the blend of the year, not much so the name. So either way I would still throw them money when I have it. I've been lucky to have the funds to get the 1s I want and the ones I don't have the money for on the drop I just keep my eye on P&C for when they release.