PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rsshreck32

Lifer
Aug 1, 2023
Western PA
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to visit JM Boswell's shop in Alexandria, PA. As a relatively new pipe smoker, this was my first venture into a real pipe shop. I've been to a few cigar-focused stores with pipe tobacco, but nothing like a true, genuine brick-and-mortar tobacconist. The experience was top-notch and I cannot wait to get back! JM, his daughter, and grandson were on the front lines attending to customers all afternoon ( I was there from 1 to 3). All three of the Boswell clan took time to talk with me and answer any questions I had. While visiting, I was encouraged to try any of JM's house blends that I wanted to and those bowls were on the house (I smoked three different tobaccos while there). The smoke lounge was also a great experience. The shop was rather busy, it was after all a Saturday afternoon. But it is a rare treat to sit in a room full of men and a few ladies who were all enjoying Boswell's blends out of handcrafted Boswell pipes. As you can imagine, I wasn't going to be left out, so to the counter I went with my own Boswell pipe to load up with one of JM's blends. I'm not sure how many other places there are where you can smoke a house tobacco blend in a handmade pipe, both crafted by the same man, while he offers you a cup of hot coffee! I have only been smoking a pipe for 10 months now, but if anyone were to ask me why I started, I'd direct them to the experience I had at JM Boswell's and explain that there are a few hobbies and a few places left in the world that prove that the deep roots of old traditions still bear good fruit today. I walked away with a new handmade pipe, some good tobacco, and some new friends. It was a blessed experience, and I thank the Lord for the opportunity to travel to JM Boswell's.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to visit JM Boswell's shop in Alexandria, PA. As a relatively new pipe smoker, this was my first venture into a real pipe shop. I've been to a few cigar-focused stores with pipe tobacco, but nothing like a true, genuine brick-and-mortar tobacconist. The experience was top-notch and I cannot wait to get back! JM, his daughter, and grandson were on the front lines attending to customers all afternoon ( I was there from 1 to 3). All three of the Boswell clan took time to talk with me and answer any questions I had. While visiting, I was encouraged to try any of JM's house blends that I wanted to and those bowls were on the house (I smoked three different tobaccos while there). The smoke lounge was also a great experience. The shop was rather busy, it was after all a Saturday afternoon. But it is a rare treat to sit in a room full of men and a few ladies who were all enjoying Boswell's blends out of handcrafted Boswell pipes. As you can imagine, I wasn't going to be left out, so to the counter I went with my own Boswell pipe to load up with one of JM's blends. I'm not sure how many other places there are where you can smoke a house tobacco blend in a handmade pipe, both crafted by the same man, while he offers you a cup of hot coffee! I have only been smoking a pipe for 10 months now, but if anyone were to ask me why I started, I'd direct them to the experience I had at JM Boswell's and explain that there are a few hobbies and a few places left in the world that prove that the deep roots of old traditions still bear good fruit today. I walked a way with a new handmade pipe, some good tobacco, and some new friends. It was a blessed experience, and I thank the Lord for the opportunity to travel to JM Boswell's.

I visited the one in Chambersburg on Saturday for the first time!

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Back say maybe 30 or 35 years ago if memory serves I bought tobacco from a guy reselling Boswell blends. I didn't know it though at the time. They guy ended up going out of business and so gave me his secret supplier. That's when I found out about Boswell. Boswell tobaccos were one of the first tobaccos I started smoking in addition to OTC. I was ordering over the phone before the internet with an account on file. Since then have tried every blend. Big fan of Boswell.