Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Purchased from Smoking Pipes, 4 ounces for $19.

This is a Lakeland tobacco that doesn’t have any of the Lakeland essence added, or else not much.

The description says it’s all ribbon cut Virginias, used as a base for the various Lakeland blends.

Think Five Brothers, only Virginia instead of burley.

This is a strong, rich, full, tobacco tasting blend of what look to be mostly dark fired Virginia tobaccos. There’s plenty of nicotine and my wife asked if I was smoking cigars in my pipe.

This might be just what some lighter, milder blends need to wake up.

It reminds me, of the old French Gitanes cigarettes, which is a complement if you prefer strong smokes.

Try some. You probably already have Five Brothers in your cellar.:)

95FFC2CF-87D5-4BDF-B162-5ABE9505B886.jpeg7705E488-3D3C-46C3-B59D-8FCCA55C1507.jpegC6CC7680-1C0F-4371-AB70-D5270A7B72E4.jpeg

G

Gimlet

Purchased from Smoking Pipes, 4 ounces for $19.

This is a Lakeland tobacco that doesn’t have any of the Lakeland essence added, or else not much.

The description says it’s all ribbon cut Virginias, used as a base for the various Lakeland blends.

Think Five Brothers, only Virginia instead of burley.

This is a strong, rich, full, tobacco tasting blend of what look to be mostly dark fired Virginia tobaccos. There’s plenty of nicotine and my wife asked if I was smoking cigars in my pipe.

This might be just what some lighter, milder blends need to wake up.

It reminds me, of the old French Gitanes cigarettes, which is a complement if you prefer strong smokes.

Try some. You probably already have Five Brothers in your cellar.:)

View attachment 188077View attachment 188078View attachment 188079
Sounds a little like GH Best Brown Aromatic, which I've just tried. No hint of geranium, just the leathery, cigar-like flavours with a layer of tonquin sweetness on top. It's very like a milder version of SG 1792 Flake.
Those who like dark fired earthy notes but aren't keen on Lakeland floral tones could easily pass it by, being put off by the "aromatic" label.

Actually, in my last consignment, as my new try it was a toss up between No. 7 and Best Brown A. I went with the Best brown A, which I'm enjoying, but I'll give the No 7 a try next time. Be interesting to compare.

Montag

Lurker
Jan 9, 2022
Sounds interesting. I’ve been diving into Virginia lately and this is on my short list to add to my next order. Any GH Virginias you’d recommend as a companion or compare/contrast? I’ve worked my way through most of the flakes so I’m looking more at vintage cut, ribbon cut, shag, etc.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Sounds interesting. I’ve been diving into Virginia lately and this is on my short list to add to my next order. Any GH Virginias you’d recommend as a companion or compare/contrast? I’ve worked my way through most of the flakes so I’m looking more at vintage cut, ribbon cut, shag, etc.
All the Shags are really good, Kendal Dark is really its own thing containing some Malawi Burley the Kentucky and Birdseye are are great too just quality leaf with a bit of the sauce lingering in the mix.