PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BingBong

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
What's wrong with watching the telly? Certainly it's no substitute for human interaction, but it's a blessing for those of us who like drama, news and sports.
Haha, I'm one of those old gits who can't abide it. I gave up newspapers in 2003, my radio listening dwindled to almost nothing not long after - exceptions being TMS (gone now) and nowadays, occasionally, Jazz Record Requests on R3. I've detached and regard the world with a quizzical eye :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ah, a Londoner! So, there's that nasty levy on TV's - that might do it for me. But frankly, I love TV. In the 70's, 80's and 90's and on, most TV was crap- some content O.K., but poor visual and audio quality on everything. Different in every respect now, though there's still a huge pile of garbage to avoid.

BingBong

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Ah, a Londoner! So, there's that nasty levy on TV's - that might do it for me. But frankly, I love TV. In the 70's, 80's and 90's and on, most TV was crap- some content O.K., but poor visual and audio quality on everything. Different in every respect now, though there's still a huge pile of garbage to avoid.
Ah, TV as an audio/visual experience may well be sans pareil nowadays, but lawks, the content - I've made various attempts to tolerate it in company, but I reach my limit very quickly. There's always some utter bullocks to ruin it. I've hit that curmudgeonly age (but admittedly I started early).

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Agree content is as bad as ever, but there is now also some very good content. Most of my non-sports and non-news viewing is of what I dub "BritMysts". Tremendous trove of that- but it may not be your cuppa.

Edit: Apologies to Durhamshire for veering this off course. I wish I could add a lot to what others said, but contact with live humans is what I also need to do.

No more on TV watching!

Last edited:

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Agree content is as bad as ever, but there is now also some very good content. Most of my non-sports and non-news viewing is of what I dub "BritMysts". Tremendous trove of that- but it may not be your cuppa.

Edit: Apologies to Durhamshire for veering this off course. I wish I could add a lot to what others said, but contact with live humans is what I also need to do.

No more on TV watching!