PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I greatly appreciate all of your input. I paid a very reasonable price for this piece. That may have added to my unwarranted suspicion.
email Peterson a picture of your pipe and the historian can tell you what year it was made and the edition. Special editions are usually a run of 1000 or 2500 pipes. For example this is a 2016 St. Patricks day pipe:
1715850254815.png
Band is similar but not same.

Reactions: warren

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That appears to be a filter stem pipe, like this. Without the filter, it's going to have a very open draw. It doesn't appear that the seller disclosed this (but it is shown in one of the pictures)

1715854981124.png
1715855024729.png

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Pipe makers constantly experiment with modifications, a rounded rim means nothing unless you know the exact series and it’s limited and doesn’t have those riMs.

looks real to me, I’d keep it especially if it was cheap, what’s the loss? It has nice grain too.

Reactions: Briarcutter

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
I do not think a rounded rim has anything to do with its authenticity, or the weight. if the nomenclature is there it's probably legit. The absence of a logo on the stem may or may not mean replacement. You'd have to check and see if Peterson did a stem logo on that series.

Reactions: kcghost and jpmcwjr

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I greatly appreciate all of your input. I paid a very reasonable price for this piece. That may have added to my unwarranted suspicion.
I wrote an email to Peterson with a picture and they responded :
"This is not a standard line of pipes that was sold in Ireland.
It may be this was a pipe commissioned for a pipe group or for a distributor in a country outside of Ireland."

So ... I would guess you have a bit of a rarity on your hands. The seller DID SAY it was a special edition.
I would photograph it or download the seller's pics and send it in to Peterson Pipe Notes for historical record. Enjoy your pipe !

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
I wrote an email to Peterson with a picture and they responded :
"This is not a standard line of pipes that was sold in Ireland.
It may be this was a pipe commissioned for a pipe group or for a distributor in a country outside of Ireland."

So ... I would guess you have a bit of a rarity on your hands. The seller DID SAY it was a special edition.
I would photograph it or download the seller's pics and send it in to Peterson Pipe Notes for historical record. Enjoy your pipe !
This was a generous act and very kind of you to take the time to do this! We all benifit!

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Possibly a replacement stem but I couldn't imagine anyone counterfeiting a Peterson.
To me, Its clearly a Peterson bowl with stampings and a Peterson stem with P ... the question I had was the ring or crown. Its similar to Christmas bands but not the same. Its closer to a Savinelli 2017 St. Nicholas pipe. Peterson indicated it may have been made for a pipe club or for sale outside of Ireland to a store so the seller indicating it was a special edition seems somewhat valid. The bottom line though is @japril saw a nice pipe he liked and bought it to enjoy and now it has some extra special value. We should all be so lucky !! (some are!) :ROFLMAO: The 68s are nice pipes and many like them. I still have mine from 1982 !

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Some Peterson doesn't have "P" on stem. The stamp and the pipe look genuine. Who would counterfeit Peterson? That's counterproductive, and too much investment in time.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
To me, Its clearly a Peterson bowl with stampings and a Peterson stem with P ... the question I had was the ring or crown. Its similar to Christmas bands but not the same. Its closer to a Savinelli 2017 St. Nicholas pipe. Peterson indicated it may have been made for a pipe club or for sale outside of Ireland to a store so the seller indicating it was a special edition seems somewhat valid. The bottom line though is @japril saw a nice pipe he liked and bought it to enjoy and now it has some extra special value. We should all be so lucky !! (some are!) :ROFLMAO: The 68s are nice pipes and many like them. I still have mine from 1982 !
I searched all of Mark Irwins blog entries on special editions, but couldn't find one with those red/white rings.

Reactions: Hillcrest

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I searched all of Mark Irwins blog entries on special editions, but couldn't find one with those red/white rings.
I did the same but even he occasionally comes across a pipe he was unaware of previously, which is why I suggested the OP send him a picture and inquiry. The Sav didn't have the double brass rings but the Pete did. The RWR rings is the question. The real question is how does it smoke ??? We still don't know....