PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Because @warren normally, and wisely, recommends it, I'll be sending an email to Peterson about this pipe. I stumbled onto it a couple of months ago and it was only $30, so what the heck.

It's a "Peterson's FLAT GRIP", Made in Ireland and bears the number 5. I'm thinking of having someone less clumsy than me figure out how to remove the "stinger".

The pipe looked interesting and nice and compact.

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered something similar and may shed some light? EEEF2B61-5FA2-4DB5-AD37-B57AF69EBCE8.jpeg

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
That's something new. I mean old, but new to my eyes. Never seen Peterson with stinger like thing before. Rather different from others too. Hope it has a rich history behind it.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
The inquiry to the shop didn't really gain me much. It appears likely the stinger was installed after, but the person couldn't really say. He was more interested in telling me that my pipe has to be a No. 15 and the "1" either didn't get stamped or wore off, etc. and that there was no "5" shape. Well there was a "5" and I found a Peterson Pipe chart with that shape on the chart (just a few pipes down from a 15, lol) and except for the "flat grip", it's the same shape. I guess I really don't know much more than I did before and I'm not complaining, but I had hoped for some background on the "flat grip" stem and a little history on that, and maybe all there would be is "we made that shape for a few years and we honestly don't know why" and that would be understandable.

It's a nice little pipe and I'm going to send it off to Briarville for a good cleaning and restoration and I'm hoping getting the stinger out, which I'm not messing with because I'm erring on the side of caution and assuming it is glued in there. We'll see!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It looks like a golden oldie, and I suspect that the grain will emerge nicely with cleaning. Stingers were a big selling point at one time, I'm guessing in the 1950's especially, or a little earlier. The pipe market was highly competitive, and the stingers were a big selling point for a decade or more. So it is possible that Peterson got on that bandwagon for a brief time. Even Kaywoodie had its stinger built into its screw-on stem in the Drinkless series until just a few years ago, but mostly people have been pulling them out of their pipes for the past fifty years. I think you'll be rewarded by going with a pro for restoration.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus