PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Popped in recently and enjoyed this store I went past all the time when I was in school.

George is a class act and the blended tobaccos are excellent.

Plyler’s Pleasure is an all day wonderful light English, and I also bought a raspberry/vanilla aromatic.

Full humidor, lots of tins to browse and walls full of pipes.

Pop in and say hi when you’re in Raleigh, you’ll be very glad you did.

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipes By George has been my independent pipe shop for decades. Unfortunately I'm not able to get over there regularly as I used to do. It is in a great old campus neighborhood that used to be old frame houses rented out as student rooms, but now gentrified with higher end apartment homes.

I think he still has a bike shop and a tattoo parlor as neighbors. He may still have the disclaimer sign on the front door, in pencil, warning people that they maybe be exposed to pipe and cigar smoke if they enter.

He has a dart game, a manual cash register, a great old scale for weighing tobacco, and a classic plank floor and hand-built humidor. It really i is a pipe shop in the grand old style, and George is good natured and deeply versed in his pipes and tobacco.

One time I visited and his son, who was a teacher then, said he'd persuaded his dad to take a week off while he was minding the store.

It is a pipe pilgrimage not to be missed when in Raleigh, there on Hillsborough Street between the NCSU campus and the downtown State Capitol.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Pipes By George has been my independent pipe shop for decades. Unfortunately I'm not able to get over there regularly as I used to do. It is in a great old campus neighborhood that used to be old frame houses rented out as student rooms, but now gentrified with higher end apartment homes.

I think he still has a bike shop and a tattoo parlor as neighbors. He may still have the disclaimer sign on the front door, in pencil, warning people that they maybe be exposed to pipe and cigar smoke if they enter.

He has a dart game, a manual cash register, a great old scale for weighing tobacco, and a classic plank floor and hand-built humidor. It really i is a pipe shop in the grand old style, and George is good natured and deeply versed in his pipes and tobacco.

One time I visited and his son, who was a teacher then, said he'd persuaded his dad to take a week off while he was minding the store.

It is a pipe pilgrimage not to be missed when in Raleigh, there on Hillsborough Street between the NCSU campus and the downtown State Capitol.
@mso489 what blends do you like at George’s? I’m through there quarterly and will be ready to reload.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
George is the real deal, and his shop remains one of the last of a vanishing era. A real time capsule. Bought an estate pipe and tin of tobacco from him last time I visited Raleigh, and will definitely be making a stop there next time I am in that city. Didn't sample any of his in-house blends, but certainly plan to do that...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ask George about house blends. My memory is that he has a good array of tinned tobacco blends from major brands and big jars full of bulk blends that he readily identifies as some of the standard big-name bulk blends if you ask. At one time he would sell Granger out of a tub by the ounce.

I think the rumblings about high costs and fines related to new blends may have warned him off offering any house blends, but just ask.

He has a good wall of pipes, of which I've bought a number, but also check the basket where I've picked out a few good quality pipes at extra reasonable prices.