PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Is that what it was listed as? And was 0 the grade they gave to supremes in the past? And what counts as 1, 2, and 3?
I think the early '0' grade was at least as good as some that now get graded 'Supreme'. Here's a 2023 POTY 'Natural' that I thought looked better than any of the Supremes I saw. Bottom pic shows it with a borrowed spigot stem, next to a 1905 ungraded system with an AB stem. Such grain was just average back then.

MYe7pMj.jpeg

5G51nqL.jpeg

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I notice that on many Peterson Pipes the stamping on the pipe faces the same direction as the stamping on the band but on some pipes they are opposite. Is this just insignificant luck of the draw or does it depend on the size and shape of the pipe and the stamping tools ? Just curious if anyone knows. Thank very much.

Reactions: FLDRD

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I think the early '0' grade was at least as good as some that now get graded 'Supreme'. Here's a 2023 POTY 'Natural' that I thought looked better than any of the Supremes I saw. Bottom pic shows it with a borrowed spigot stem, next to a 1905 ungraded system with an AB stem. Such grain was just average back then.

MYe7pMj.jpeg

5G51nqL.jpeg
Yeah the jump from natural to supreme does not seem significant enough (or really at all) to warrant the price jump.

That spigot stem is pretty sweet on the POTY. I wish the spigot stems had a more gradual taper in the middle transition than the more abrupt look that they have.

Reactions: runscott

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I notice that on many Peterson Pipes the stamping on the pipe faces the same direction as the stamping on the band but on some pipes they are opposite. Is this just insignificant luck of the draw or does it depend on the size and shape of the pipe and the stamping tools ? Just curious if anyone knows. Thank very much.
The stummel stamps seem consistent over periods. They seemed to start off with a 'rule' based on shape and aesthetics, then would sometimes change it at some point, just for a shape or across all straight pipes, or across all bent pipes. For instance, there was a period when, for bent pipes, the COM stamp was on the back just under the ferrule. Then it was perpendicular to the ferrule, which it generally is today. Stamping on the ferrules seemed to be more random - I've even seen some where part of the stamping on the ferrule was perpendicular to other parts, or the stamping was completely upside-down.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
The stummel stamps seem consistent over periods. They seemed to start off with a 'rule' based on shape and aesthetics, then would sometimes change it at some point, just for a shape or across all straight pipes, or across all bent pipes. For instance, there was a period when, for bent pipes, the COM stamp was on the back just under the ferrule. Then it was perpendicular to the ferrule, which it generally is today. Stamping on the ferrules seemed to be more random - I've even seen some where part of the stamping on the ferrule was perpendicular to other parts, or the stamping was completely upside-down.
Thanks ! So ... it depends on the line and time period et al. Appreciate the answer ! :)

Reactions: AroEnglish

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Thanks ! So ... it depends on the line and time period et al. Appreciate the answer ! :)
Yes. This will sound anal, but I've studied Peterson pre-wwii nickel and silver bands - fonts, alignment - trying to identify patterns. You can combine such information with date hallmarks and other features of the pipes to approximate date ranges. But then someone back in 1935 uses a ferrule that was created in 1925 and modern day collectors are once again confused. Why couldn't pipe-makers have been considering our needs as they did their jobs?!?

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Do you have any examples of pre-republic block COM stamped perpendicular to the ferrule on the RH shank? All of the made in England block stamps I have seen have the COM on the back, like the Irish free state location, but I now have one on the side which has left me scratching my head…most probably for no reason at all 🤦

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Do you have any examples of pre-republic block COM stamped perpendicular to the ferrule on the RH shank? All of the made in England block stamps I have seen have the COM on the back, like the Irish free state location, but I now have one on the side which has left me scratching my head…most probably for no reason at all 🤦
Show a picture.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Apologies about the terrible pics, best I can do while I’m supposed to be the home school teacher.

Both are system 0, and I’m assuming given shape both are 314.

Left hand pipe is COM stamped on back parallel with mount, as expected.

Right hand pipe has nomenclature worn. Can just make our “MADE IN over ENG…” com on RH shank. I have tried to use light/shadows to show this.

39EBA1D7-ED73-4AED-9D05-70E952F73C0A.jpeg03DEC0F1-59A9-4A8F-B3CD-78B16AA71633.jpegDD30551E-A084-44E5-9A15-91CC6C05329A.jpeg918FE2DB-6208-43D7-82B7-411A0F13A177.jpeg

Reactions: Sobrbiker

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Back COM

View attachment 307186

View attachment 307187

Side COM

View attachment 307188

I have had others with a silver mounts too, though not hallmarked. I always thought the “…of dublin” on the ferrule as an export thing.
No telling. I have silver ferrules that are pre-1939, during the date hallmark period, that do not have date hallmarks. Peterson was all over the board with all of these things.

At some point I will catalog all the various stummel and ferrule stamps, their angles and other 'date range useful' characteristics I know of, and try to put them together so that they have meaning. There are certainly plenty of knowledgeable people here to bounce the results off of.

Reactions: Ahi Ka