PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pipesbywoo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2023
Los Angeles
www.etsy.com
In 2021, I took some time away from working as a durometer technician to learn how to make pipes. I've since returned to my old job but try to make at least one pipe per week. My style combines traditional shapes with muscular curves and metal accents. As of this post, I've completed 151 pipes and a number of magnetic tampers, all of which are shown on my Instagram.

Here are some of my latest pipes:
20230722_043155.jpg
20230824_042756.jpg
20230728_033450.jpg
20230803_084139.jpg
20230817_092757.jpg

I also machine magnetic pipe tampers; usually out of 6061 aluminum, but I've also made them out of brass and copper:
20230811_041250.jpg

If you happen to have one of my pipes, I'd love to see it here!

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Don't have one myself but looking forward to seeing more of your work!

What tools would you recommend As someone who’s considering dabbling in pipe making?

pipesbywoo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2023
Los Angeles
www.etsy.com
Don't have one myself but looking forward to seeing more of your work!

What tools would you recommend As someone who’s considering dabbling in pipe making?
The first thing I recommend getting is a book called PIMO’s Guide to Pipe Crafting at Home from https://vermontfreehand.com/books/. From there, I recommend starting with pre-drilled briar blocks and stems, also from vermontfreehand.com or rawkrafted.com. Ideally, you want to shape the briar with a French wheel, but a small band-saw, a belt sander, Dremel with a flexshaft and burrs, hand-files, and sandpaper are all also used. To finish the pipe, you'll need stains (Fiebing Dye from vermontfreehand.com) and a few buffing wheels; one for brown Tripoli, one for white diamond compound, and one for carnauba wax.
If you get more serious about pipemaking, then a nice, variable-speed Jet wood lathe and tooling would be nice to have.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Most of the “Show us your” threads are photos of items that are collected by the OP, not items made by the OP to sell to others - which is usually called a “For Sale..”.
So I’m thinking there’s some type of context/content problem, yeah. But that’s just me.

Reactions: crashthegrey

pipesbywoo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2023
Los Angeles
www.etsy.com
Most of the “Show us your” threads are photos of items that are collected by the OP, not items made by the OP to sell to others - which is usually called a “For Sale..”.
So I’m thinking there’s some type of context/content problem, yeah. But that’s just me.
Nothing here is posted for sale. This is a thread for others to show a pipe of mine if they have one.

Last edited:
Reactions: AroEnglish

Kirklands

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2023
IMG_8713_Original.jpeg

Photo of my pipe by Woo
Beautiful rim on that!

Reactions: pipesbywoo

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Do you post / sell anywhere else than IG. For those that would never have an account?
I'm fairly certain I've seen his for sales on Ebay. Same store name I think.

I overlooked them at that time, as for some reason I suspected they were imports from China, but it would seem I could be wrong.