PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
While picking up a few BBQ necessities just also grabbed some different cheeses to see how smoking might go.

I got a cheap grocery store brand extra sharp orange cheddar, a Tillamook white cheddar, a mild mozzarella, a gouda that had a red wax cap on it, and some Maytag blue:

20230506_140108.jpg
20230506_140309.jpg
20230506_181927.jpg

The smoked orange cheddar is fantastic on burgers. The smoked blue was just insane! I never would've thought it would be so phenomenal but it's definitely on my list to keep making.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
While picking up a few BBQ necessities just also grabbed some different cheeses to see how smoking might go.

I got a cheap grocery store brand extra sharp orange cheddar, a Tillamook white cheddar, a mild mozzarella, a gouda that had a red wax cap on it, and some Maytag blue:

View attachment 220382
View attachment 220430
View attachment 220431

The smoked orange cheddar is fantastic on burgers. The smoked blue was just insane! I never would've thought it would be so phenomenal but it's definitely on my list to keep making.
I have to admit, I'm surprised they didn't melt.

Reactions: mso489

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I have a Masterbuilt brand smoker and I use their cold smoker attachment for cheese (and ham). It was mid 70s here yesterday so I decided to take advantage of that. The soft cheeses come out for lake of a better term "wobbly ". They do for a sort of skin which helps, especially with the mozzarella.

Here's some internet pics of what I have:

Masterbuilt-20070112-Cold-Smoking-Kit-for-Masterbuilt-Digital-Smokers-0-0.jpg
Masterbuilt-20070112-Cold-Smoking-Kit-for-Masterbuilt-Digital-Smokers-0-2.jpg

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Hell! You can smoke iced cream if you've a mind to.
Or sprinkle smoked sea salt on the ice cream for a less messy and more functional approach.

If you ever have spare room in the smoker (which I try to avoid), spread salt on a small sheet tray (or sheet of foil) and fill the "spare" room to smoke the salt.

Reactions: shanez

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Blue is the king of all cheeses!!! All others shall bow down before blue!
It's hard to beat a good quality stilton blue.

Should you ever have a whole wheel of stilton, a good tip is to cut out a large cone shaped wedge from the top. Then pour in some quality port and once it has soaked through replace the cone plug.

After a couple of weeks the port should have worked its way throughout most of the wheel. Looks and tastes delicious!

Regards,

Jay.

• Love
Reactions: shanez