PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I'm sure it's possible to wave one of those smartphones around and have it record and register everything it sees, make calculations according to my fingerprint pressure in combination with atmospheric tobacco residue particulates in some way, and have it place an order for exactly the tobacco I'm lusting for to the perfect vendor based on microscan label analysis somehow, but I don't have one of those, um... things.

I much prefer to do such tasks myself.

However, finding VENDORS who still use humans to do human tasks is getting rarer by the nanosecond.

So, I thought I'd pass on a delightful few minutes I spent yesterday ordering some tobacco from SP.com using my (gasp!) voice and (double gasp!) hardwired telephone.

Picked up on the second ring. Being in a typically lateral mood, the first thing I did was ask the guy who answered if he was a real human or an AI-powered synthetic one. Answer guy never missed a beat. He dealt with me like Derek Jeter being hit a routine grounder. It was memorable and fun. When the humor moment was over, the order back-and-forth proceeded as smoove as butter (he was always one step ahead of me information-wise, courtesy, I imagine, of a computer screen on his end), and he DIDN'T transform into an Annoying Upsell Creature at any time.

Delightful attitude/demeanor, clarity & linguistic precision, sense of humor, and overall competence.

On the TELEPHONE.

In 2023.

This, Themmies and Gentletheys, is how the world used to be.

That the SP.com operation recognizes and places value on that world, is remarkable.

Which is why I'm doing exactly that. Remarking on it. 👍

Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 2.13.38 PM.png

F

fMf Piper

What a great experience. I have heard nothing but great things about SP.com.

While technology and tools have their uses, nothing beats good old fashioned one-on-one human interaction.

Thanks for sharing.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’ve never called them to place an order but I like that they have that option and I’m sure a lot of people use it. I have called them when I’ve had issues with my orders and they are always very pleasant and helpful. You can tell they like their jobs and their employer treats them like human beings which transfers over in their customer service skills. I’ve been a happy customers of theirs for over 13 years now (that’s crazy). Time flies when you are old and having fun, of course, but the older you get the quicker it passes by.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've had occasion to call SP for inquiries and order info.
Never anything less than ultra personable, professional, and polite.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yep, those AI synthesized voice bots are becoming increasingly more difficult to distinguish from a flesh and blood human being. How do I know that you spoke with a bot?
Delightful attitude/demeanor, clarity & linguistic precision, sense of humor, and overall competence.
Clearly no human was involved.

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
I was at my local Tinderbox 6 or so months ago conversing with the manager when the phone rang. After exchanging pleasantries, the manager pulled out a hardbacked paper notebook and flipped to the page that held the caller's monthly standing order for pipe tobacco. He then asked him if he wanted to put it on his credit card that he had on file. Old school still works in south Alabama.