PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Just an FYI, I was down in Gatlinburg this week once again and finally wandered into the Gatlin-Burlier shop. Great little operation. Picked up a very tasty Burley blend and one of their Bourbon infused aromatics. Really good tobaccos. A little pricey but everything down there is. They have a fairly good assortment of original house blends if you into that sort of thing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been to Gatlinburg twice, once with my parents and sister, and later with my late wife when we went ice skating at the top of the lift. It's beautiful country. My wife and I had some fresh rainbow trout. I missed the pipe shop, but that is a good place for one, plenty of foot traffic and money being spent.

Reactions: JimPM

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Yes short of taking in the drive within the mountains there is no loss of places to spend your money
I've been to Gatlinburg twice, once with my parents and sister, and later with my late wife when we went ice skating at the top of the lift. It's beautiful country. My wife and I had some fresh rainbow trout. I missed the pipe shop, but that is a good place for one, plenty of foot traffic and money being spent.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
I was there back in August, seemed like nice folks. I believe it is good to have a place like that in a tourist area such as Gatlinburg, so the public can see what a real tobacco shop looks like, and not the current trend of a drug paraphenalia store masquerading as a tobacco shop.
Agree 100%!

I hate to say it, but many modern “tobacco shops” are strip mall head shops for tweakers. Half the store is glass pipes, and Kratom CBD crap.

You know a real tobacconist when you walk in. Thank goodness for legacy B&Ms and the online stores.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I waa in there early this year. Bought a few house pipes for my travels. Was honestly surprised at how well they smoked. Didn't plan on smoking them once I got home but they're fantastic little pipes for the price.
While I was there, the two guys behind the counter had just received some vintage tins. We opened a 70s Mac Baren Symphony together and he let me pack 2 bowls. Then he sent me with a little over an ounce of 70s Balkan Sobranie.
Their house blends didn't float my boat, but I had a great time hanging out and smoking with then and looking at pipes while my wife and kids wandered around. Really nice guys

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
Great little shop that's easy to miss. Bought a 100% Latakia blend from him called "No Local" that I love to mix in other tobaccos (and smokes rather well on it's own). Very knowledgeable on German pipe makers and probably has a couple blends that fit you if you tell him what you like.

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
We actually visit Gatlinburg at least once a year, sometimes twice. I’ve been nearly every year of my 44 years. My parents loved it, and we would often vacation there. Every trip, I make it a point to stop in and say to the gang. IIRC, the founder was quite important in 70s, and actually testified before congress regarding additives that cigarette manufacturers were putting in their tobaccos.

At any rate, Richard, who now runs the establishment, is a delightfully kind man, and he has a quirky YouTube channel where he tells offbeat stories, jokes, and talks some about pipes & tobaccos.

https://youtube.com/@thedreadtyger

I have bought 3 or 4 pipes there. Most recently, in 2021, a Nording churchwarden I just love.

Reactions: OverMountain