PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Out of the ck
Back when I ran the Magic City pipe club we had a rep from Sutliff come talk to us about tobaccos. He had said that 1849 was their only non cased VaPer. We also did not detect any casings when we popped the tin, or else I would never have bought any. I am pretty picky, and very skeptical, especially with Sutliff.

Has anyone ever said that they taste an orange topping?
It is a rather tangy tobacco, but I detected nothing of the sort.
Or, did people just assume that because it was a Sutliff product that would be flavored? That's what I would have done if it wasn't pointed out to me.
Out of the corner of my eye it appeared there were oranges in the tin art...

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
Always wondered why this blend sells for so cheap. Usually perique commands a premium, too. Does anyone know why the low price point?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Yes, as I said in the OP, I liked it, and thought it a very pure uncased tobacco, but it didn't excite me enough to rip through all of my tins before ten years had passed. But, now with age, hell yeh, I may just not have enough. I ordered 20 more tins, but if this new shit comes with an orange casing, I'm going to be pissed.
There's no toppings, and the casing is minimal.

I might as well disclose this: for over a year, I tried to get Sutiliff to add a non-topping VaPer to their line up. I told their master blender, Carl McAllister, at the time what I thought would work that was different than the Elizabethan Match. Carl did a little juggling with my basic idea, and sent me the sample. I suggested a different red Va., and an additional five percent perique. Carl said, "It already has 20% perique. Dunhill Navy Rolls only has 15%." I said I knew that, but I felt 25% would be a good idea, so he added the extra five percent.

I like it fresh, but I agree that it ages well.

I might as well disclose this: for over a year, I tried to get Sutiliff to add a non-topping VaPer to their line up. I told their master blender, Carl McAllister, at the time what I thought would work that was different than the Elizabethan Match. Carl did a little juggling with my basic idea, and sent me the sample. I suggested a different red Va., and an additional five percent perique. Carl said, "It already has 20% perique. Dunhill Navy Rolls only has 15%." I said I knew that, but I felt 25% would be a good idea, so he added the extra five percent.

I can’t remember the name of the guy from Sutliff who spoke at the pipe club meeting, but he assured us that it wasn’t cased either. It comes rather dry, so definitely no PG.

Whether or not the guy from Sutliff is to be believed, I could detect absolutely no added flavors, and I was looking for that signature Sutliff proprietary tastes that they all seem to have to some extent.

But, the whole reason for my post was the vinegar flavor that had formed naturally. That to me was the most remarkable part if my post.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I can’t remember the name of the guy from Sutliff who spoke at the pipe club meeting, but he assured us that it wasn’t cased either. It comes rather dry, so definitely no PG.

Whether or not the guy from Sutliff is to be believed, I could detect absolutely no added flavors, and I was looking for that signature Sutliff proprietary tastes that they all seem to have to some extent.

But, the whole reason for my post was the vinegar flavor that had formed naturally. That to me was the most remarkable part if my post.
I noticed the vinegar note gets a tad stronger with age. That comes from the red Va.

Redtech

Lurker
Mar 20, 2023

Could you suggest they start selling it bulk?😁

Reactions: JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012

I noticed the vinegar note gets a tad stronger with age. That comes from the red Va.
Could you suggest they start selling it bulk?😁
Actually, I did years back, but I think they like it in a tin only.

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
I just checked and normal Sutliff tins are $9.91, and this one is $11.04.

Their ltd releases are $14.49.

So, I may not be understanding where you see it as cheap.
I see it listed at $8 at a particular online retailer... guess this is a pricing anomaly.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I just cruised through tobaccoreviews.com and no one mentions oranges. updating via yoast - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/7944/sutliff-tobacco-company-sutliff-1849/?pagenumber=2&orderBy=tr.UpVotes

Two reviewers mentioned caramel and raisins, and they think it was mildly cased, but no oranges. For the record I think those two reviewers were wrong about anything being added, especially having heard from Sutliff on this. There would have been no reason for their rep to lie to us.
But what does JimInks think?

Edit: Nevermind. That's what happens when you don't read all the comments before replying to a comment.