Terracotta Fingers and Replacement Stems? (Peterson content)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Manawydan

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2024
(re)New Piper here. I have a question for ye learned Pipers...

I purchased a new Peterson Deluxe Classic Terracotta Bent Rhodesian 999 P-Lip pipe. I love the look of the pipe -- really whet my appetite for Rhodesian/Bulldog-shapes, and I like overall how it is smoking so far. However, I have noticed that the finish is significantly transferring to my fingers when I smoke. Is this normal? It doesn't seem like something I should expect from a pipe of this caliber. Is there a way to 'fix' this issue without stripping the finish off the pipe?

On an unrelated topic I am not sure I like the P-Lip stem specifically. Wanting to explore my options, I enquired to Peterson about ordering replacement stems and they responded that the pipe must be sent back to the Dublin factory, where after twelve weeks (and €44) they would send it back with a non-P-lip stem. Granted I am new to the pastime, but I was thinking that factory pipes would be made with a series of 'standard' stems and should be swappable? Is my pipe that custom?

Any help appreciated.

IMG_4125.png

• Wow
Reactions: AroEnglish

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I suppose it all depends on how well you want the replacement to fit. Were I you and, I'm not, I'd have Peterson replace with a properly fitted bit. Or, you could hire someone to build you a replacement.

The dye transfer? A normal occurrence. There is no coating over the dye, excess will transfer.

Reactions: Manawydan

Manawydan

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2024
I suppose it all depends on how well you want the replacement to fit. Were I you and, I'm not, I'd have Peterson replace with a properly fitted bit. Or, you could hire someone to build you a replacement.

The dye transfer? A normal occurrence. There is no coating over the dye, excess will transfer.
Thanks for the reply and info! Being new, it is helpful to hear from this community.

Manawydan

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2024
Thought I'd follow up after emailing Peterson about the dye transfer issue. Their response was this: "This can happen with the finish Peterson are using now but should have stopped occurring after half a dozen smokes."

It hasn't stopped for me just yet, but I'm only at about a half dozen smokes right now. Hoping it does stop happening.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Thought I'd follow up after emailing Peterson about the dye transfer issue. Their response was this: "This can happen with the finish Peterson are using now but should have stopped occurring after half a dozen smokes."

It hasn't stopped for me just yet, but I'm only at about a half dozen smokes right now. Hoping it does stop happening.
Ya it happens.
As far as the stem they aren't just grabbing a stem out of the box and slapping it on your pipe, they are going to cut a brand new stem for yr particular pipe and it will fit like it was make for it because .. class? class? class? yes that's right because it was.
I don't like p-lips at all but i suffer through and they aren't good clenching stems to me either, my thought was to send them 3 pipes in one box and hopefully get them all back in a few weeks instead of one at a time, i'd have to email them and ask them about that though.

Simone_Adamley.PNG.png

Manawydan

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2024
Ya it happens.
As far as the stem they aren't just grabbing a stem out of the box and slapping it on your pipe, they are going to cut a brand new stem for yr particular pipe and it will fit like it was make for it because .. class? class? class? yes that's right because it was.
I don't like p-lips at all but i suffer through and they aren't good clenching stems to me either, my thought was to send them 3 pipes in one box and hopefully get them all back in a few weeks instead of one at a time, i'd have to email them and ask them about that though.

View attachment 308538
Well they did say 12 week turnaround for one pipe, might be same for several. I would assume the €44 would be each though. Doesn't hurt to reach out. I learned that they changed their dye and transfer for some initial period of time is 'normal'. :)

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Well they did say 12 week turnaround for one pipe, might be same for several. I would assume the €44 would be each though. Doesn't hurt to reach out. I learned that they changed their dye and transfer for some initial period of time is 'normal'. :)
I'm sure the price is per pipe.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I'm surprised you didn't get more replies to your question. I have read about some stains being water soluble and diminishing like that. I have not experienced that personally. I don't have a recommendation for your best solution to that issue, but there are some floating around here somewhere, but they may be difficult for you to find. Someone seeing this and pointing you to it would be fortuitous.

On the other topic, I'm a huge P-lip fan and likely will buy nothing but, in the future. I had plenty of fishtails previously, which I didn't necessarily dislike, but after adapting to it, I found the P-lip to be a far more pleasant experience. Perhaps with repetition all things will "click" for you.

Manawydan

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2024
I'm surprised you didn't get more replies to your question. I have read about some stains being water soluble and diminishing like that. I have not experienced that personally. I don't have a recommendation for your best solution to that issue, but there are some floating around here somewhere, but they may be difficult for you to find. Someone seeing this and pointing you to it would be fortuitous.

On the other topic, I'm a huge P-lip fan and likely will buy nothing but, in the future. I had plenty of fishtails previously, which I didn't necessarily dislike, but after adapting to it, I found the P-lip to be a far more pleasant experience. Perhaps with repetition all things will "click" for you.
Thanks — I was surprised as well. I feel like I am the only person on the planet with a new stained smooth Peterson experiencing this issue. 🤣

I am keeping the pipe for now. I am still relatively new to all this and have no idea how my opinions will evolve over time. That’s my reason for purchasing different kinds of pipes — shapes, filtered or not, and from a variety of reputable makers. The journey is the thing and is quite enjoyable when looked at like that.

Reactions: FLDRD

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
If it were me, and its not, I would put a little wax on that pipe and polish it so I could smoke without leaving forensic evidence everywhere but that's just me. If you want to try that pipe as a fishtail, get softy bit and put it over the end covering the hole but not completely ... the softy bit will spread out the smoke like a fishtail. I'm cheap so I use a piece of large silicone straw and it works for me. I like both fishtail and P-Lip and don't notice a drastic difference but again ... that's just me. 😵‍💫:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Manawydan

Manawydan

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2024
If it were me, and its not, I would put a little wax on that pipe and polish it so I could smoke without leaving forensic evidence everywhere but that's just me. If you want to try that pipe as a fishtail, get softy bit and put it over the end covering the hole but not completely ... the softy bit will spread out the smoke like a fishtail. I'm cheap so I use a piece of large silicone straw and it works for me. I like both fishtail and P-Lip and don't notice a drastic difference but again ... that's just me. 😵‍💫:ROFLMAO:
Thanks for the advice -- I had a couple other pipes on the way so put the Pete away for a bit. I think I'm going to pull it out tonight and give it another go. If the finish transfer does stop being an issue, it will free my mind up to just consider the P-Lip. It is otherwise a really nice looking pipe and I *want* to like it. :)

Reactions: Hillcrest

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Thanks for the advice -- I had a couple other pipes on the way so put the Pete away for a bit. I think I'm going to pull it out tonight and give it another go. If the finish transfer does stop being an issue, it will free my mind up to just consider the P-Lip. It is otherwise a really nice looking pipe and I *want* to like it. :)
I did not like mine for many years. Then I learned to smoke a pipe properly and slowly and it has become a favorite for shorter smokes. I prefer large bowls. Good Luck !

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
@Manawydan

That seems a strange reply that the stain will settle down after half a dozen smokes—I wonder if they expect the heat from smoking to set or cure the stain (I recall reading in pipe making forums that stain needs to be heated to set). A pipe shouldn’t require that the user should have to do anything to prevent the stain from coming off onto his or her hand. It should be ready from the get go to smoke without such issues.

I know from experience that modern Savinelli pipes don’t react well with saliva; a recommendation of wetting the rim to prevent charring during lighting was a big mistake on an mid-tier Autograph pipe. Maybe it’s due to the natural stains that Savinelli currently uses, but I won’t make that mistake again (it won’t prevent me from purchasing their pipes, though).

I like @Hillcrest ’s suggestion of applying a layer of wax to prevent the stain from getting on your hand.

Manawydan

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2024
@Manawydan

That seems a strange reply that the stain will settle down after half a dozen smokes—I wonder if they expect the heat from smoking to set or cure the stain (I recall reading in pipe making forums that stain needs to be heated to set). A pipe shouldn’t require that the user should have to do anything to prevent the stain from coming off onto his or her hand. It should be ready from the get go to smoke without such issues.

I know from experience that modern Savinelli pipes don’t react well with saliva; a recommendation of wetting the rim to prevent charring during lighting was a big mistake on an mid-tier Autograph pipe. Maybe it’s due to the natural stains that Savinelli currently uses, but I won’t make that mistake again (it won’t prevent me from purchasing their pipes, though).

I like @Hillcrest ’s suggestion of applying a layer of wax to prevent the stain from getting on your hand.
I also think it is strange. Maybe not the heat, but just the fact that the pipe will run out of extra stain to transfer... I don't think a pipe from any reputable maker should have this issue.

The wax idea sounds like it should work, I just don't like having to apply something to my pipe in order to enjoy smoking it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Peterson, a reputable manufacturer, might prefer for you to choose another brand. They've only been serving their selected market for many generations so, could they possibly know about the desires of their customer base? (A rhetorical question only.) My only advice would be not to purchase another Peterson.