PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

wgstraub

Might Stick Around
Jan 31, 2021
Silver Spring, MD
I own two Dunhills and they're both fine but neither is the best pipe I own. Seems to me if you're looking for a knock-around pipe that you're going to drop, fumble, toss on the desk and otherwise abuse you can do better than a Dunhill as far as both expense and stamina are concerned. You can get a Barling or a Stanwell or a Comoy in the $30-$40 range that can take a licking. But if you have your heart set on a Dunhill you should go to it. It'll likely smoke fine.

JLD66

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2020
West Kentucky
Over time I’ve owned quite a few Dunhill estate pipes. Most of mine have been from the 60s a few from the 70s & 80s and one or two early 2000. All have been good smokers with some being exceptional. I’ve cut them back to three that are exceptional and got rid of the rest. The journey can be expensive to get to the ones you really like so don’t get in a hurry like me. You can find a good estate for $200. or much less. Good luck!

Civil

Lurker
Jun 17, 2021
Vancouver, Canada
I have one Dunhill and it is a 1966 LB Billiard. I don't use it as a beater pipe as it is too nice. From all I have read over the years the 1969 and earlier Dunhill's are better smoking pipes than later pipes. I am partial to American made artisan pipes with Jack Howell and Rad Davis being my favorite 2 artisans. All of my artisan pipes smoke better than the Dunhill. The stems are better and the pipes just smoke better. I will say that the 1966 LB is the best looking Billiard ever made shape wise. They don't have the best sand blasts, but they do have the best shapes in my opinion. I am a real fan of the billiard and shape wise means a lot to me and I have never seen anything nicer than the 1966 Billiard.
I also like the billiard.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Civil

Lurker
Jun 17, 2021
Vancouver, Canada
I own two Dunhills and they're both fine but neither is the best pipe I own. Seems to me if you're looking for a knock-around pipe that you're going to drop, fumble, toss on the desk and otherwise abuse you can do better than a Dunhill as far as both expense and stamina are concerned. You can get a Barling or a Stanwell or a Comoy in the $30-$40 range that can take a licking. But if you have your heart set on a Dunhill you should go to it. It'll likely smoke fine.
I was set on buying with the Vauen or Stanwell last time. I settled on the Vauen. Maybe stanwell next….

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
<< Snipped bits out >>
You can get a Barling or a Stanwell or a Comoy in the $30-$40 range that can take a licking. But if you have your heart set on a Dunhill you should go to it. It'll likely smoke fine.
OMG! Where do you live? Where can I get a Barling for $40 or less?

PS:
Please put your location in your Profile as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
You can get a Barling or a Stanwell or a Comoy in the $30-$40 range that can take a licking. But if you have your heart set on a Dunhill you should go to it. It'll likely smoke fine.
You might get an estate Stanwell (or Savinelli) for $30-40.
A Comoy - it really depends on the age and condition, but I doubt you'd get a pre-Cadogan Comoy in any condition for anything near that amount.
And Barlings ? Even post-transition ones go for more. And we know who is to blame for that ! :)
I'm not trying to discourage you, but recent prices of older Britwood from the better marques have really gone up significantly.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I see 3 reasons to buy a Dunhill above another pipe brand:

1) Name recognition. Everybody knows Dunhill and you could easily sell it if you want to.
2) Date stamps. I bought mine specifically as a birth-year pipe - a pipe as old as me.
3) Sandblast. Many of the old ones now have an exceptionally craggy deep blast. Bill Taylor (Ashton) sandblasted many of these.

I own one, as a birth-year pipe.

View attachment 87895
Not likely...

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
I became a piper after I retired, and I had a blast with acquisition disorder as I swamped myself in all things pipes and tobacco. That was 7 yrs ago. (!)
I have one estate Dunhill! Long story. It's shown in my avatar. I have less than $150.00 into it, and it has a 'certified' Dunhill replacement stem. It passes a cleaner, and smokes perfectly. I usually just look at it.
I'd do it again.. perhaps not with getting the new stem....again...I guess I assumed the fellow would make the replacement the same as the one I sent him, along with the pipe. Wrong.
(a 1954 656, Shellbriar, which is a bent pipe with saddle stem.)

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Buy a Dunhill but not as a beater pipe for yard work, gardening, fishing, etc. If you want to a pipe for doing those things, buy a Missouri Meerschaum. Nothing smokes as well as a good corn cob when you're gardening or fishing.

wgstraub

Might Stick Around
Jan 31, 2021
Silver Spring, MD

PS:
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.
Every Barling I have ever purchased, all of them estate pipes, was in the $30 -$45 range, including a pre-transition Barling I got for about $32, as I recollect. Takes a little digging sometimes but they're there, including this beauty:

PS:
Why:
How:
This is the beauty I intended to include:

wgstraub

Might Stick Around
Jan 31, 2021
Silver Spring, MD
You might get an estate Stanwell (or Savinelli) for $30-40.
A Comoy - it really depends on the age and condition, but I doubt you'd get a pre-Cadogan Comoy in any condition for anything near that amount.
And Barlings ? Even post-transition ones go for more. And we know who is to blame for that ! :)
I'm not trying to discourage you, but recent prices of older Britwood from the better marques have really gone up significantly.
He said he wanted a knockabout pipe and was considering getting an estate Dunhill, as I recollect. If my memory is faulty, I apologize. I've got about five estate Barlings and never paid more than $45, including the pre-transition I mentioned above. Also see the photo of one I posted above, a nice pot, which I think I got for $45 within the last year. Also, I got a Comoy's 1976 Christmas pipe -- I understand only 1,200 of them were made, for, as I recollect, $36.

• Wow
Reactions: OzPiper

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
underline his total disdain
No disdain in my post. I said they'd be as good a smoker as anything he has, can sometimes be found for a deal, and can take a beating. Not a single mention of the negative results I've had from the brand. If the need to badmouth me pops up, please tag me in the post so I can see it firsthand instead of finding it because others have informed me of it.

Last edited:

Civil

Lurker
Jun 17, 2021
Vancouver, Canada
Buy a Dunhill but not as a beater pipe for yard work, gardening, fishing, etc. If you want to a pipe for doing those things, buy a Missouri Meerschaum. Nothing smokes as well as a good corn cob when you're gardening or fishing.
I have a corn cob, but I don’t like the draw or the mouth piece.