PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
Title edited for brevity and caps.

I’m curious as to the number of pipers that segregate your pipes to specific tobaccos. Do you? If so which and why?

Last edited by a moderator:

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
I have lots more pipes than blends. So yes.
I just prefer having pipes for different genres.
But within a genre, no specific pipe for a specific tobacco.
Do you differentiate between Lats, Orientals, English….because you notice a difference due to ghosting or just favorite pipes for different tobaccos?

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I have one or two that I only put Virginias in. Then I have a few that get everything including Virginias.

The reserved ones are for when I just really want a clean Virginia taste. Early on I cared, but now I just can’t be bothered because I often like to just use a single pipe for a while and don’t want to restrict myself to a blend because of it. I blend hop much more than I pipe hop.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That’s a fine collection. I could see how one specific pipe/tobacco could bring you back to a moment.
It's a little more whimsical than that. The blends I smoke in them remind me of the pipe. For example, this pipe's carver called it a tri-cano.

004-009-13180.6375.jpg

The volcano on Japan's Sakurajima Island has three peaks like the pipe so the pipe became dedicated to the Sakura blend made by Ken Byron. ?

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
It's a little more whimsical than that. The blends I smoke in them remind me of the pipe. For example, this pipe's carver called it a tri-cano.

View attachment 135900

The volcano on Japan's Sakurajima Island has three peaks like the pipe so the pipe became dedicated to the Sakura blend made by Ken Byron. ?
I haven’t tried that. I’ll have to look into the Sakura blend(if it’s still available).

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I have three pipes right now, with a fourth on the way. All aromatics go in my Savinelli Tortuga 614 Oom Paul. Anything with latakia goes in my Savinelli Miele 611 KS Bent Dublin. Everything else goes in a 1950s Foyard Beechwood Rhodesian, but depending on the specs of the new pipe, the "everything else" may get further subdivided into VAs in one, and everything else in the other. The mystery pipe is a gift from a friend, so I literally have no idea what it even is, except that it is from the 60s. I don't smoke Lakelands (hate 'em!), so their ghosting prowess is a non-factor for me.

Reactions: Salvaje

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
This question comes up regularly.
Like many other smokers, I have a rotation for blends containing latakia, a couple of pipes for aromatics, and so on. I do have some pipes dedicated to certain blends, but most are not. Latakia does tend to ghost pipes.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Im like others here - I dedicate pipes per blend type. I have VA pipes, VaPer and a few Latakia smokers. I also have a couple Lakeland pipes. Anything different from those blends gets smoked in a cob. I do this for ghosting reasons, but also I've found certain pipes smoke certain blends better.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Looks like a popular question - same answer - yes and no and not necessarily because I can taste the difference but just in case with a couple pipes and a few other more like sentimental kind of reasons or no good reasons, lol.

Question: I wipe my bowls down pretty well with a damp paper towel after each use, not building up "cake" - does this inhibit or prevent any of the ghosting that may occur?

Reactions: Salvaje and jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No dedicated pipes on my rack so far. The reasons are that I don't smoke any blends with exaggerated ghosting problems like Lakeland aromatics; I do not build cake, scooping out ash and wiping out the chamber after each smoke; and I have a lot of pipes all of which get rested, often for months, between smokes. Latakia, Perique, and aromatic flavorings don't ghost my pipes, or at least I can't taste it, which is the same thing to me.

I'm glad I don't feel I have to dedicate pipes. Pipe smoking is supposed to be a function of relaxing and emotionally releasing stress, and one more compulsion would not enhance that for me.

If I bought a tin of Visions of Celephais, the grape flavored aromatic from C&D, I might designate a cob for that, at least until I saw how the flavor carried over, or didn't. I'd try a simple burley in it after a dozen smokes to see if I could taste any grape. If I couldn't, then I'd put the cob back on line for any blend.