PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks
My budget is $500 or less
I’ve seen a couple Hamiltons I liked that were well within that range?
Hamilton is an excellent choice. IF you go vintage, be prepared to have a shop to service them, most take some care, particularly if worn daily. A used, modern Hamilton won't require much for several years. Good watch repairmen are like pipe repairmen - few and far between, with a lot of shady characters in between. Buy from a reputable vintage shop (there are several, DC Time, etc.) I'd avoid Ebay in general, unless you have someone knowledgeable counseling you. Be prepared to pay more for a good vintage watch, that has been serviced, than for a used modern example.

Reactions: timelord

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Thanks for the advice.
Glad to hear you think Hamilton may be a good choice.
I will definitely avoid Ebay for this purchase!

As for your recommendation to find a reputable vintage shop - I think I may have found one quite near where I live.
Thanks again

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Hamilton is an excellent choice. IF you go vintage, be prepared to have a shop to service them, most take some care, particularly if worn daily. A used, modern Hamilton won't require much for several years. Good watch repairmen are like pipe repairmen - few and far between, with a lot of shady characters in between. Buy from a reputable vintage shop (there are several, DC Time, etc.) I'd avoid Ebay in general, unless you have someone knowledgeable counseling you. Be prepared to pay more for a good vintage watch, that has been serviced, than for a used modern example.
+1

Hamilton make rather nice watches for the price.

Reactions: LotusEater

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks for the advice.
Glad to hear you think Hamilton may be a good choice.
I will definitely avoid Ebay for this purchase!

As for your recommendation to find a reputable vintage shop - I think I may have found one quite near where I live.
Thanks again
This reference gives them good credibility and respect:

Thank you to Eric Wind and HODINKEE for their insightful article​

Reactions: LotusEater

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A vintage wristwatch is a bit like owning a vintage car - it's going to take some care, and probably won't do well with too much regular use. (without a fair amount of maintenance). A service on a vintage automatic will likely run about $400 from a reputable watch repairman (and he'll have a several month backlog). More if you go the factory service route.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The Duro is a great choice!
If I didn't have 3 gshocks and an orient dive watch I'd buy one of those.

Al, I will have to agree. This will spend a lot of time on my wrist. The Fulmosa band is super comfortable, and the weight of the watch is not noticable at all.

@didimauw, this package was around $100 on Amazon.

P_20220702_185358.jpgP_20220702_185436.jpg

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
My dear wife decided a few years ago I needed a nice watch so off we went and picked out an early Xmas present (which didn’t really count as such, lol, Santa still came later) - I told her I had just spent some $$ on something else and remarked how it was kind of like The Shop Arround The Corner - without hesitation she let me know Jimmy Stewart didn’t get all the presents!
image.jpg

Reactions: Bengel and timelord