PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
A couple of years ago I cut down a dead tree in our front yard, but left the stump there to remove later. I got a little help from a Pileated woodpecker who hammered away about 1/8th of it. Man they are big birds, (like a crow) and can remove a lot of wood in short order. I used to do a lot of bird watching from our porch, but gave it up when I took the bird feeder down because of health issues. I think I'll be able to start again this fall.
View attachment 151080
Great picture, Orley!
I've never been to Mississippi, but I never would have guessed you get snow there............
I learn something new here everyday!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I wouldn't call myself a bird watcher. But I always stop to look at em if they are around.
I've been feeding a crow at my work for two weeks now. He will watch me throw food and swoop down next to my jeep and grab it. I now save some of my food especially for him. I call him Poe. He's cool.
Something about birds.
Got a picture of Poe, on my last day of work. I'm going to miss him. Id see him every day during my lunch break. He loved dunking my bread into the puddle down below. PXL_20220617_171745967.jpg

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I love birds. Probably got it from my Mother who was REALLY into hummingbirds. She maintained about 8-10 feeders all summer long and it wasn't unusual to see 30-40 of them at any one time.

I just recently put out some feeders. Mostly seeing Blue Jays, Cardinals, Goldfinches, House Finches, Carolina and House Wrens, Chickadees, Brown Headed Cowbirds......... Lot's of Dark-eyed Juncos in the winter, but not so much now.

I had a nesting pair of Chickadees in a wren box on my porch- It was fun watching them until one morning I went out and all 5 little chicks had been thrown out onto the concrete patio.......
I suspect it was a male English Sparrow that I've been seeing, I know they do that to Bluebirds' nests.

I live 1/4 mile from a large reservoir and see lots of waterfowl flying overhead- Mallards, Canada Geese, Blue Herons, etc. I enjoy watching the 3-4 Little Brown Bats fly around in the backyard at dusk too.

I'll have to check out the Merlin app.......... Thanks for the tip!

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Interesting scene this morning ... the baby chicadees are learning to fly and their parents are helping them in the tall oak tree. In the top of the canopy are two Orioles - one orange and one green/yellow acting as flankers above the fray. One of the chicadees fell out of the oak and was flittering down like a leaf and about to hit the roof of the house when a Robin and a Titmouse flew across the yard and underneath it and just then, about two feet from the roof, it got its wings working and flew to a lower branch. The Robin and Titmouse took up left and right flanking positions as the parents flew in to give the baby further instructions. They then chased away a bluejay looking to take advantage. I am always amazed when the other species aid in this process of teaching the young to fly by acting as flankers to keep bluejays and crows and predators away. Each species has different species to help out and I wonder often if they are cousins or related species. Simply wonderful scene early in the morning.

Jun 23, 2019
Here's a goofy Gambel's quail atop a Joshua tree, making what I assumed was mating calls:

Wq74w6El.jpg