PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's an attractive austere simplicity to the all-black pipe, whether it's a blast with a shiny black stem, or a polished smooth ebony with maybe two slender bands. On the other hand, I'd hate to look at my cabinet and racks and see only the color black staring back at me. I am grateful for lighter stains and brighter and various-colored stems as well. I'd miss my entirely black pipes if I didn't have them, but it would be monotonous if that were all I had. How are you with all black pipes?

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I've actually always gone for those unstained, tan colored pipes not far off from a cobs color (like the Bones pipes, though I don't have one of those). I'm not sure what the term is for them. They might be the natural color of aged briar(?). I have a Nording Spruce that's pretty much along those lines, but even that is a tad darker than what I'm referring to.

I _do_ have one all-black pipe, but it's in my basement and I haven't smoked it in years. It's part of an old fleet I plan to sell to smokingpipes. It does look great, with some silver trim to it. I think without the trim, I might not have liked it as much being completely black.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the idea of a smooth black pipe being dressy, but these days, I so rarely put on a jacket and tie, much less anything more formal than that, it's strictly a fantasy. I have a Peterson B11 brandy sitter in that mode. I do like the way it looks, and I guess it makes me feel dressed up even though I'm not. It has a good big chamber, and a sitter is always convenient.

Also, I have about four Johs black blasts, but they have stained and polished briar "bands" that break up the black briar and stems. I think they look sharp.

But then I'll go and smoke one of my lighter brighter stained briars or my MM cob with an orange swirl Forever acrylic stem just to keep things interesting.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
My two favourites are both black and smooth Vauens (well, one has a wood finish rim to the bowl), and I think both look great and not cheap at all, though to be fair, Vauen seem to make exceptional pipes.

I do agree with mso's original sentiment though. Now I've been smoking pipes a while and settled into it, I find that the simpler the look of the pipe, the more stylish and pleasant I find it. I love some of the Dunhill shapes, it's just a shame they don't do 9mm filters and they are so unjustifiabley expensive.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I have several dress pipes. None of them look “cheap”. One is a Chacolm Rhod from the late 80s and the other is a Peterson Cara Bulldog from the 90s. I have found that maintaining the black stain over time can be a challenge. They are both beautiful pipes. I also have a Peronelli Author with a beaded finish. It too is striking and beautiful in its own right. Not just any man could pull off smoking a dress black pipe. Not everyone is comfortable in Tails or a Zoot suite for that matter.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I have a smooth black Dunhill “dress” pipe that is all black with a thin sterling silver accent. It is stunning in the right circumstances such as when I have a tuxedo on or some of my darker suits.

It doesn’t show the grain and it’s not supposed to. Much like brown brogue shoes VS plain black cap toe. The brown brogue is much more interesting to look at but the plain black dress shoe with a tux and the whole 9 has its own sharp and sleek style. One that I enjoy on occasion. On those occasions I pull out the Dunhill Dress pipe.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
My new Vauen Olaf bent egg is my first all black sandblast pipe. Like others above I too felt the maker was hiding flaws by doing that sandblast. I now have to say that while I can see the deep furrows along growth lines and the pits where birdseye would exist, the sandblast provides a durable surface that is worry free and allows me to be less careful about scratching the finish of a smooth pipe. I never thought they were formal looking but all the non-smokers I know have complimented the 'distinguished' look of the pipe !
I do have two rusticated pipes, a Peterson's and a Savinelli, that I thought were beautiful and elegant but I have received the most compliments on the all black pipe ! Of course it is a bent egg that mimics the lines of a swan neck ...

Reactions: JOHN72