Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I have to laugh when I read men get excited about only preferring mayonnaise over Miracle Whip. I’ve done several blind food tastings and the tasters were unable to guess correctly which food had which condiment. I held many tequila tastings as well and in blind tastings people who swore they knew their tequila generally favored Conmemorativo.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I'm in Ohio and I've never heard of it................ Grew up with Hellman's ?‍♂️
Dukes is king in the south. Can't imagine others using anything but.

For years, I searched for "the mayo that every good mom'n'pop sub shop uses" and came up empty until I had Duke's. The other stuff doesn't even jiggle right.

Duke's is more of a southern thing (like Crystal hot sauce).

It can sometimes be found in chain groceries (like Meijer), but at least in Michigan, Hellmann's mayonnaise is king.

My buddy outside Chassell, up near Houghton, gets Duke's at the local Econo Foods. He's tickled. Can't get much for a selection of bourbon or steaks or wine, but he can have his Duke's.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I have to laugh when I read men get excited about only preferring mayonnaise over Miracle Whip. I’ve done several blind food tastings and the tasters were unable to guess correctly which food had which condiment. I held many tequila tastings as well and in blind tastings people who swore they knew their tequila generally favored Conmemorativo.

Some people are trisexuals. They'll tri anything.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
BLT - yes, but only with freshly picked vine-ripened tomatoes.

However...

Reuben sandwich (I prefer pumpernickel instead of rye bread).

Monte Cristo with both ham & turkey (better than a Club any day); I make a variation using 2 slices of French toast fired in chicken schmaltz (or ghee).

Braunschweiger (or liverwurst) on a toasted English muffin with coarse brown deli mustard on one side & wasabi mustard on the other side, plus a slice of red or sweet onion, & sauerkraut (and/or dill pickle slices).

Crab Cake sandwich (but only in Maryland using lump crab cakes; none of this Maryland-style nonsense).

Pimento Cheese sandwich using homemade pimento cheese spread.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
BLT with mayo and yellow mustard! Never been a club guy. I get my BLTs made at home, that way I get really good B and really good T and often skip the L. Never order them in a restaurant- in fact, unless out of town, almost never go to restaurants any more.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
BLT with mayo and yellow mustard! Never been a club guy. I get my BLTs made at home, that way I get really good B and really good T and often skip the L. Never order them in a restaurant- in fact, unless out of town, almost never go to restaurants any more.
Yellow mustard on a BLT...interesting. I'll have to try that sometime.

I put yellow mustard on my sloppy joes, recommended by a friend...it's gooood!

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Yellow mustard on a BLT...interesting. I'll have to try that sometime.

I put yellow mustard on my sloppy joes, recommended by a friend...it's gooood!
Ketchup (yes, it's already in there, lol) and mustard on sloppy joes for me! And just to stick it to the Dirty Harry lovers, always mustard but also ketchup for me on any hot dog or brat, haha.

But, I like yellow mustard on scrambled eggs and most omelettes (unless they cry out for salsa or hot sauce), and mixed with hot sauce and honey with pretzel sticks --- so mustard is kind of a thing with me. As a 5 year old, I'd be up early on Saturday mornings waiting for the signal to disappear from the TV (some of you out there will have no clue what I'm talking about) and the kid shows to start, and would spread some mustard on a piece of white bread and have a little snack in my very large closet, lol. So glad as a mustard lover I was later able to come out of the closet!

Reactions: scloyd

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Ketchup (yes, it's already in there, lol) and mustard on sloppy joes for me! And just to stick it to the Dirty Harry lovers, always mustard but also ketchup for me on any hot dog or brat, haha.

But, I like yellow mustard on scrambled eggs and most omelettes (unless they cry out for salsa or hot sauce), and mixed with hot sauce and honey with pretzel sticks --- so mustard is kind of a thing with me. As a 5 year old, I'd be up early on Saturday mornings waiting for the signal to disappear from the TV (some of you out there will have no clue what I'm talking about) and the kid shows to start, and would spread some mustard on a piece of white bread and have a little snack in my very large closet, lol. So glad as a mustard lover I was later able to come out of the closet!

Middleton Wisconsin, near Madison. We visited it a few years ago and went home with a half dozen jars of mustard from all over the world. Some were really good, but yellow mustard is my favorite mustard.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I really do love a BLT and a club is real good also. Toasted white bread (Pepperidge Farms say) with mayo, a good lettuce and pan fried bacon. Truly great sandwichs. Lot of good sandwichs in the world, though. Hell, I even like peanut butter with grape jelly on white bread. Rye bread really goes well with a ham and cheese sandwich.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
For years, I searched for "the mayo that every good mom'n'pop sub shop uses"
Here, in New England, the Hellman's used in deli's is frequently from a wholesale supplier in a large 10-20 lb tub jar and is a much thicker concentrated mayonaisse and not the same as you would get in a grocery store. It lasts longer and you use less. I've seen it behind the counter when waiting in line. YMMV

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Here, in New England, the Hellman's used in deli's is frequently from a wholesale supplier in a large 10-20 lb tub jar and is a much thicker concentrated mayonaisse and not the same as you would get in a grocery store. It lasts longer and you use less. I've seen it behind the counter when waiting in line. YMMV

I think I've seen the same thing, and it's entirely possible that the grocery store product is formulated differently than the institutional quantities of it. I honestly was suspecting a grand conspiracy of keeping our homemade sandwiches just a click less in quality than the same thing from a deli to drive restaurant sales up.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I think I've seen the same thing, and it's entirely possible that the grocery store product is formulated differently than the institutional quantities of it. I honestly was suspecting a grand conspiracy of keeping our homemade sandwiches just a click less in quality than the same thing from a deli to drive restaurant sales up.
Wow ! Now there's a conspiracy theory that gets past the censors !! :ROFLMAO: same with cole slaw and potatoe and egg salad !! Its the New Deli Order at their devious work !! Avoid the crickets ! ;)

Reactions: pantsBoots

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Its the New Deli Order at their devious work !!

Here's a place I visited occasionally in Austin, not for the food as much as to hear a musician acquaintance who performed there:

1660851925782.png

NeWorlDeli - https://neworldeli.com/

Here are the Studebakers playing at NeWorlDeli. The woman in the center of the stage was my wife's house mate when we met.

1660851901595.png

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Here are the Studebakers playing at NeWorlDeli.
Beautiful !! That's a NeWorlD Order I could follow !!! :ROFLMAO: I was only in Texas three times (deep east), once when it was 108 degrees in the shade ! I loved the people and fit right in ... they would ask the person I was with where they were from and that person responded angrily "The same place he's from !" ... (I tend to pick up accents naturally when traveling ,,,its how i hear so I know what people are saying.) I never made it to Austin or San Antonio ...Dallas, Houston-Fort Worth, Galveston, Sillsbee and Beaumont area. When I was leaving I went to a dinner party at a small ranch (30 acres). When leaving I saw the biggest Big Dipper I've ever seen and commented to the owner ... "We have one of those in Connecticut too ... but its not that big !" and he replied in a Texas drawl "Son, This is Texas ... everything is bigger in Texas ! "

Reactions: jaytex1969