Wreck of American Warship USS Jacob Jones Found off Cornwall.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Whilst on convoy duty, the USS Jacob Jones was apparently the first US warship sunk due to enemy action in December 1917.

Her wreck has been found by divers off the Scilly Iles which lie about 28 miles from the west coast of Cornwall.

When I saw the article on the news last night they closed in on the ship's huge bell. To me it looked rusty....were bells ever made from iron? I wouldn't have thought so.

There are talks going on twixt the finders & the US Government about raising the bell for display at a commemoration place in memory of the brave servicemen who perished with the vessel.

USS Jacob Jones.jpg

Short clip from the BBC is here...

US World War One wreck found by divers off Cornwall - BBC News

Regards,

Jay.

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
Whilst on convoy duty, the USS Jacob Jones was apparently the first US warship sunk due to enemy action in December 1917.

Her wreck has been found by divers off the Scilly Iles which lie about 28 miles from the west coast of Cornwall.

When I saw the article on the news last night they closed in on the ship's huge bell. To me it looked rusty....were bells ever made from iron? I wouldn't have thought so.

There are talks going on twixt the finders & the US Government about raising the bell for display at a commemoration place in memory of the brave servicemen who perished with the vessel.

View attachment 163742

Regards,

Jay.
They should leave it and not use it as another money laundering scheme where they pump in way more money than required and pocket the surplus. No thx! They've stolen enough money from the American people these past few years!
For the sailors who were lost that fateful day may god rest their souls!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
They should leave it and not use it as another money laundering scheme where they pump in way more money than required and pocket the surplus. No thx! They've stolen enough money from the American people these past few years!
What an utterly crass statement to make.

Shame on you.

Regards,

Jay.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Have there been such "schemes" for war memorials? Seems such an odd, maybe over the top reaction.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast

View attachment 163742

Regards,

Jay.
I’m sure we have people here that know more than i, while bells were usually cast in brass that maybe if th war effort the brass was being used for munitions and things and iron was used because of an abundance at the time, one hundred percent guess on my part.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
AJL67....that was exactly what crossed my mind when I first saw it, cost efficiency I thought.

Would an iron bell ring as a brass bell would? I suppose it must sound similar.

Regards,

Jay.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa

View attachment 163742

Regards,

Jay.
That is really cool and thanks for posting! Going to read more about it.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

View attachment 163742

Regards,

Jay.
My family appreciated the sacrifices of sailors who gave their lives, that we might live free.

My old grandma taught us all to sing this song about the Good Rueben James.

WHAT WERE THEIR NAMES (GOOD RUEBEN JAMES)

66 men died on the USS Jacob Jones.

Freedom isn’t free.

.were bells ever made from iron? I wouldn't have thought so.
"The vast majority of war ships and landing craft were outfitted with cast iron bells made in Hillsboro by C. S. Bell Company workers"

Iron bells ring quite well actually.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Being a veteran fleet sailor, a radioman aboard the USS Gallant MSO (minesweeper ocean going) I found this pretty interesting. Our ship was smaller, but our crew was bigger, about 72 depending on what we were doing. I was interested in the design of this WWI destroyer. I couldn't even tell what ship it was, with no designation until the video sound track stated it was a destroyer. It sure rode low in the water compared to WWII and later destroyers. It moved really fast, at 30 knots, compared to a top speed for my 'sweep of about 14 knots. Four stacks for a small ship is quite a few, so obviously the boiler and engine were jacked up for speed.

That must have been quite a prize for the German submarine crew in the first war to have major submarine engagement. May the crew rest in peace.

My wife's father was in WWI, having been a teenager, gassed in the trenches. He met General Pershing, a fellow Missourian, and later being treated at veterans hospitals he met Abbot and Costello and Bess Truman, the wife of Harry Truman, when Harry was a judge in the state of Missouri and Bess was doing volunteer work driving around patients from the veterans hospital.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Being a veteran fleet sailor, a radioman aboard the USS Gallant MSO (minesweeper ocean going) I found this pretty interesting. Our ship was smaller, but our crew was bigger, about 72 depending on what we were doing. I was interested in the design of this WWI destroyer. I couldn't even tell what ship it was, with no designation until the video sound track stated it was a destroyer. It sure rode low in the water compared to WWII and later destroyers. It moved really fast, at 30 knots, compared to a top speed for my 'sweep of about 14 knots. Four stacks for a small ship is quite a few, so obviously the boiler and engine were jacked up for speed.

That must have been quite a prize for the German submarine crew in the first war to have major submarine engagement. May the crew rest in peace.

My wife's father was in WWI, having been a teenager, gassed in the trenches. He met General Pershing, a fellow Missourian, and later being treated at veterans hospitals he met Abbot and Costello and Bess Truman, the wife of Harry Truman, when Harry was a judge in the state of Missouri and Bess was doing volunteer work driving around patients from the veterans hospital.
Tom, on the news last night they stated the submarine commander radioed to other nearby shipping to alert them to the sinking ship despite him being the one that sunk it.

Many lives were saved...but of course many lost.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting indeed. So 66 wasn't the entire crew, just the crewmen lost. I thought it was all hands. So the crew could have been somewhat larger. Fascinating that the sub commander sent out an SOS for the ship he'd just sunk. That was a uniquely humane and gentlemanly thing to do. I doubt he got a medal for that from his navy. That attitude quickly changed, on all sides.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Very neat find. It is wonderful to see that an ally of ours would go to the trouble of finding such a lost vessel. It is important to remember the men who lost their lives in defense of others. It rest in water of about 328 feet (100) meters.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Is 328 feet scuba depth, or was this discovered using a robot or manned dive vehicle? That sounds toward the edge of scuba depth, but I'm not a diver. They didn't show divers or a vehicle in the video.

Just Googled, and recreational dives are about 100 feet, but professionals have gone as deep as 1090 feet, with stops to allow the adjustment to prevent the bends, I presume.