PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jb235

Might Stick Around
Oct 27, 2022
Lithuania
Hey, I compared 2 pipes from different manufacturers, materials, craftship levels, I notice the deeper bowl pipe smokes way smoother. I can feel more aroma of smaller pipe, but overall experience is way better on larger pipe.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
A definite yes if the chamber is ENOUGH taller that a puff only draws the smoke that's been marinating below the coal since the last puff.

It's the same mechanism as a so-called "reverse calabash" pipe, but without the second chamber.

Very noticeable in my experience, but only when the chamber is quite tall and large. Around .85"-.90" inches across, and at least 2.75" deep.

That said, chambers CAN be too big. Rich Esserman has explored that realm for 40 years, and says over 1.1" diameter or more than 3.5" deep is simply too much of a good thing. Too wide and a coal can't be maintained, and too deep results in both physical hassles to tamp and light as well as tobacco that gets too wet from the marination + condensation.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Hardly statistically significant. I don’t think it’s valid to state deeper bowls smoke better. If that were 100% true, all pipes would have a deep bowl.

Most pipes aren't in the "taste better size zone" for reasons of practicality. Chambers .9" wide and 2.75" deep (minimum) do NOT make for a pocketable pipe. Or one than can be smoked while driving. Or in the hour before you have an appointment. Etc.

But they definitely do taste better. Try one and you'll see.

Reactions: dunnyboy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Most pipes aren't in the "taste better size zone" for reasons of practicality. Chambers .9" wide and 2.75" deep (minimum) do NOT make for a pocketable pipe. Or one than can be smoked while driving. Or in the hour before you have an appointment. Etc.

But they definitely do taste better. Try one and you'll see.
I have pipes with wider, deeper bowls. I think they do benefit more complex, ribbon cut blends. But I mostly smoke Virginia Flake. I don't like them for that blend and cut.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I have a James Upshall FH saddle-bit billiard with a ridiculously large bowl (ExL), and the first time I smoked my favorite Edgeworth Ready-Rubbed in it I was pleasantly shocked at the depth of flavor the combination produced.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
all pipes are going to smoke somewhat differently. But it's kind of like a kiss from a lady. It's less one is better at it and more one is more compatible with the way you do things. I love all my pipes and basically they all smoke tobacco but in many small ways they're all unique. And some times it feels very clear to me that a physical characteristic other times it's the pipe fairies.

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
Just as a side thought. A easy way to prove this theory either right or wrong is to get 2 corn cobs. One the country gentlemen with a deep bowl (or the general ) and the other get the Morgan. Try both with the same tobacco and see.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus