PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
At my current smoke rate of 1.25lbs a year my current stash will last 37.6 years. I do expect my consumption rate to increase considerably when I retire In 14 years. I also expect prices to go up and want to be in a position where I will not have to buy any after I retire. Although I am sure I will just have to try the latest small batch releases from time to time 🤦‍♂️

I was also amazed at how much prices went up on some blends in the last 4 years. Not to mention the Michigan 30% excise tax that went into effect .

I wish I had my life that in order.

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
I spent '22 filling mine up. Now I only buy deals, or hard to get stuff or old tins I find in travels... or an emotional purchase when i walk into the local B&M... or take advantage of deals online..
I have I guess 100 tins and 10 pint jars full of bulk.

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
103 tins and roughly 11 pounds of bulk. My oldest tin is C&D Rajah's Court from 2000. My oldest bulk is Chief Catoonah's BBB from 1999. A profligate amount for my smoking pace.

Science fiction writer Avram Davidson wrote a story "Or All the Seas with Oysters" on the question of why you can never find paper clips, but wire coat hangers exist in abundance. Answer
? One spawns the other.

I've concluded that tobacco is self propagating.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Just happened to be going through my cellar today, so as of today I have:

53 mason jars that I smoke from. These have anywhere from 1oz to 4 oz.
9 mason jars that are for long term cellaring. Each has 4 oz +.
70 - 50g tins
12 - 100g tins
3 - 8oz tins/bags

I haven't bought any pipe tobacco in 3 years, and I figure I still have enough to last me more than 10 years.

Beowoulf

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2022
My The Pipe Tool app tells me I have :

Total Open Tobacco: 8.2 lbs | Total Cost: $367.26 and
Total Cellared Tobacco: 4.63 lbs | Total Cost: $316.4

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a moderate smoker and a moderate tobacco purchaser. I'll buy a few tins or baggies of bulk at a time, and the occasional large tin or tub or even a bag, but just a few times a year. Nonetheless, I buy more than I smoke, so it accumulates. I can smoke for years on what I have in-house.

• Love
Reactions: Mrs. Pickles

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
A lot. Like, a lot.
yes-baby.gif

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
If my smoking rate doesn’t change much, I have a lifetime supply plus a bit. I still buy some to get deeper on certain blends or try a tin or three of something new. I have a kept a detailed and updated record of everything I have in storage. I also have about 75 “open” blends in jars that I don’t have catalogued,

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Easily a lifetime supply given my smoking rate, but I'm still buying the "one-offs", "small-batches", seasonal tobacco (like SunBear), and specials. I'd say about 15 pounds.

Reactions: BarrelProof

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
my advice if you plan on starting a cellar, document it from day 1 this was a pain.
It’s a big pain either way, I think most people give up and just start estimating. I wanted to have fun, keeping track of what I have, what I opened and what I finished turned out to not be so much fun, so I gave that up years ago. My measurements are now, enough? Not enough?