PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jamcdon1961

Lurker
Oct 7, 2023
St. Augustine, FL, USA
Hi, my name is James. I have been smoking pipes since March, and I have a question. I have 6 pipes dedicated to a genre/type of tobacco in order to prevent issues with ghosting. I have one pipe I am not using because I do not have any other genre ideas. Any suggestions for genre/tobacco types I might be missing out on?

What I have so far is

English/Balkan/Latakia
VaBurs
VaPers
Cigar Leaf Tobaccos
Aromatics
Blends with Tonquin

What are your favorite genres/Types?

Thanks in advance, James

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
I too separate pipes. Categories to consider

VA per
VA straight
Oriental
Burley
VA Bur
Aromatics
English
Balkan
Scottish
Lakeland (natural aro)

then you can further divide by pipe chamber depth and width to get different effects.

It all about what flavors you want. I have pipes I smoke everything in and enjoy the mix. I have dedicated pipes by tobacco type brand and shape too. There's this one pipe I use for only Newminster 400 and nothing else. Never hard to find excuses to buy pipes.

Reactions: Jamcdon1961

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
Hi, my name is James. I have been smoking pipes since March, and I have a question. I have 6 pipes dedicated to a genre/type of tobacco in order to prevent issues with ghosting. I have one pipe I am not using because I do not have any other genre ideas. Any suggestions for genre/tobacco types I might be missing out on?

What I have so far is

English/Balkan/Latakia
VaBurs
VaPers
Cigar Leaf Tobaccos
Aromatics
Blends with Tonquin

Thanks in advance, James
Welcome aboard, lots to learn here. What city? St. Augustine? Cahokia? Maybe I should google it but I miss the days of wild speculation.

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas

What I have so far is

English/Balkan/Latakia
VaBurs
VaPers
Cigar Leaf Tobaccos
Aromatics
Blends with Tonquin

Thanks in advance, James
Hello and welcome to the Forum from Deep in the Heart of Texas. You will find this to site to be informative and the members insightful (and at times, most entertaining). Enjoy your stay!

To add to your selection, I very much enjoy straight, pure Virginias.

Reactions: Jamcdon1961

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
ghosting is probably right up there with aging pipe tobacco as one of the issues that is treated as more important then it is by pipe smokers. Now some ghosts can really stick and really effect a pipe. Sweet Mystery X by Solani is a really tasty candy type aromatic but I have a few pipes that still give a black currant blast from the one tin of that stuff I smoked a few decades ago. But most ghosts either disappear in a few smokes and are no more then a minor hint. Where ghosting is a real issue is when a pipe has been dedicated to a single genre or blend for years or decades. In fact when I started smoking a pipe in my youth the people that recommended or used pipe dedication (which was always presented as an option not a rule) focused more on the enriching and strengthening the particular blend more then avoiding ghosts.