PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Florida
I have never tried penzance or stonehaven and would very much like to do so in order to see what all the buzz is about. Anyone have a sample they'd like to send out? If so, thanks. If not, then no worries. These sound like some pretty special blends.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I have to agree. I love Penzance, really do. Top three favorite. And when it happens that I can buy some, well then I do.
BUT
There are so many excellent tobaccos out there that I never chase the stuff, or fret over its absence. Here's two to try that are available, and delicious.
HH LATAKIA FLAKE This stuff rubbed out is a very close analog to Penzance. Not the same, but a close cousin. Easily available.
OLD DOG If you like Latakia and want something with plenty of that -- and something more (in this case Xanthis, a condiment tobacco you don't see much) -- this is outstanding. In stock. No drama.[Currently in heavy rotation in my pipe room.]

Reactions: lordnantwich

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like it well enough, but no where near my top ten. I prefer Star of the East and Pirate Kake. I really prefer Balkan Sobranie, but my '90s stash is running terribly low. :(

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Florida
also, i have hear Magnum Opus is close to penzance. what other penzance alternatives are there?

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
I've been smoking Old Dog for 5 years or so. A sleeper.

Pirate Kake is excellent. You used to be able to get a 1lb brick from SP for $28:(.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Old dog is terrible! I would never ever try that stuff.... Avoid avoid avoid! Also star of the east avoid that to! And don't ever think about trying pirate kake! :D

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Serious note those were all good suggestions old dog is a blend that was part of a reboot. Ashton originally blended that and after stating that does anyone have any old dog from the Ashton series?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The stuff in my cellar reminds me of Pirate Kake with a different cut, and a bit more moisture.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I have Pirate Kake for the crawl this month, and it came with more moisture than my recent sample of Penzance. The Penzance was probably aged since some of the samples I've rec'vd from this fellow forum facilitator were, also.

Tin notes are similar, but my memory of the 10 to midnight is that it's closer to what I have for a Penzance sample,in both note and moisture.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
My Pirate Kake stash has about 5 years on it. Probably accounts for the moisture.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Not only that, but year to year production of a blend just HAS to have some variation, though likely and hopefully too slight to enter the conversation.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've been smoking a fair amount of Fusilier's Ration lately. It's Russ O's homage to Lancer's Slices. I find that it handles very similarly to Penzance in that it breaks up easily for loading my pipe. While it differs from Penzance because of a flavoring add to it FS is a very satisfying smoke for me.

I'll also add cudos for Magnum Opus. Russ blended MO for his own pleasure and I, for one, prefer it to Black House.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
but year to year production of a blend just HAS to have some variation
I know someone that worked for Imperial Tobacco in Montreal, he said the later years crops were introduced to the blends slowly and in increasing amounts so that the difference would not be noticeable. They changed enough year to year to warrant this procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.