PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Hello all,
I’m a classic American blend aficionado. Fancy way of saying I prefer burley scraps above all else.

I truly enjoy do the nuttiness and mildness of tobacco blends like Granger, Carter Hall, SWR, Pegasus, OJK Blue. Comfort tobaccos.

My question is this.,.

What will adding proportions of “unsweetened black cavendish” do to blends similar to those I’ve listed?

Has anyone done so? I’m not talking about that cloyingly sweet, sticky vanilla cavendish.

I’m asking about the unsweetened variety as sold by Cornell & Deihl and SG. How is it smoked on its own?

Reactions: NomadOrb and seanv

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
In my experience, it makes the smoke smoother and more creamy. Kind of milds out the blend while adding a bit of sweetness.

This is for burley cavendish, I haven't tried adding Kentucky or Virginia cavendish, which I imagine bring their own flavors into it.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
This is a good question. I have never been able to pinpoint it. I have smoked my fair share of Pegasus, and not really sure where the cavendish comes into play.

Reactions: Grangerous

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
In my experience, it makes the smoke smoother and more creamy. Kind of milds out the blend while adding a bit of sweetness.

This is for burley cavendish, I haven't tried adding Kentucky or Virginia cavendish, which I imagine bring their own flavors into it.
I agree. It will also add a bit more volume of smoke. A fuller body, but mild and smooth.

Reactions: NomadOrb

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Unflavored black Cavendish is an underrated condiment for sure. It has those lovely bass notes, but more than that, it is famous for building smoke volume, so it gives you more of whatever other tobacco you mix it with, and never forget, it makes a luxurious smoke all by itself, sort of a single malt tobacco for the soul, calm and generous. Yes sir, that's the stuff.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
This is a good question. I have never been able to pinpoint it. I have smoked my fair share of Pegasus, and not really sure where the cavendish comes into play.
Funny you should say this, because my curiosity got the better of me and I fished out a good portion of the black pieces from my Pegasus.

I loaded a Peterson 2/3 with Granger, then topped it off with a 50/50 mix of Granger and the Black Cav from the Pegasus.

Just as krizzose, MSO and Nomadorb had said, fuller smoke, a bit of neutral sweetness, sugary but barely perceptible. (I was looking for it). When I’d burned through the top third of the bowl, I actually preferred the Granger by itself. Like MSO said, it mellowed it, but it also muted the flavor, which came on stronger after the Cavendish had been consumed.

Interesting. But like I’d said, I’m no blender. I think I’m happiest with blends as they come.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Funny you should say this, because my curiosity got the better of me and I fished out a good portion of the black pieces from my Pegasus.

I loaded a Peterson 2/3 with Granger, then topped it off with a 50/50 mix of Granger and the Black Cav from the Pegasus.

Just as krizzose, MSO and Nomadorb had said, fuller smoke, a bit of neutral sweetness, sugary but barely perceptible. (I was looking for it). When I’d burned through the top third of the bowl, I actually preferred the Granger by itself. Like MSO said, it mellowed it, but it also muted the flavor, which came on stronger after the Cavendish had been consumed.

Interesting. But like I’d said, I’m no blender. I think I’m happiest with blends as they come.
Now u gotta pick all the black pieces out for your next smoke!

I like pegasus more than most blends. However there's something funky about it to me. And as a strict burva blend smoker, I wonder if the cav is what I find funky.

Reactions: Brendan

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Is the funk you mention @didimauw , kind of a sour note?

I also enjoy Pegasus quite a bit, have tried to pinpoint the Cavendish myself.
I enjoy that sourness. I can smell it when nosing the bowl. Pegasus has many flavors that weave in and out. Definitely walnut. One reviewer described a ginger-snap sweetness. I get that and even buttered popped corn. I do enjoy Pegasus. But mostly, it’s the room note or rather the smoke that surrounds you. I wish it tasted just like that marvelous aroma. It’s just old tyme pipey.

On edit. Granger “tastes” better than it smells when burning. Pegasus “smells” better than it tastes, and it tastes very good.

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Agree on the added smoothing effect. It will bring more density to the smoke plume and maybe introduce a little native woody zest to the accenting.

Reactions: Grangerous