On Smoking Slowly and the Benefits...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

This is a great write up and good advice. I definitely started out smoking too fast, mostly due to foolishly fretting over keeping the pipe lit. Over time I've learned to stop worrying about relights and appreciate the value of smoking slowly. It really does improve the whole experience.
Even having grown up around pipesmokers, I still started off puffing too hard. I think it's a natural progression of learning. Like pressing too hard when learning to write or overcompensating with the handlebars when learning to keep balanced on a bicycle. But, once you get the basic lighting it and keeping a bowl lit, then you can start to focus on getting more flavor and enjoyment out of your smokes.

I can’t get an hour in the morning. I am a fast smoker sometimes, and appreciate small to medium bowls a lot. But I always listen to the old and rush on, mea culpa.
You know... I can't always smoke in the perfect cadence either. I mean, I know folks won't believe this... I'm just not perfect. But, I'm closer than most, ha ha. JK. Anyways, as long as you are enjoying it, then you're doing it right.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Nice post Cosmic.

I've been at this for about 5 years now. In the beginning, I smoked like a speeding steam locomotive.
IMG_20230203_145254.jpg
Now, I'm a slower smoker, but not quite a sipper. Working on it. I have noticed the slower I smoke, the more relights I have, that's okay though...nothing wrong with relights.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Slow smoking is the way to go. Gradual and deliberative does it. When I'm doing tasks, I have to move fairly fast to get anything done. If I move slowly, I tend to distraction and daydreaming. So some bounding around is inevitable for me.

However, when I go into a dawdle, I'm really good at that. My wife grew up in deeply rural Missouri, and we visit and talk with her family on the phone. The long conversational pauses are part of the culture. Some city folk take this as hostility, but it is not at all. They ruminate before they answer, and interrupting the pauses is as rude as interrupting their conversation.

Some Native American cultures require long pauses after someone has spoken, to denote that people are taking in what they've heard and are thinking about it to understand it thoroughly.

Make sure to slow down, especially with pipe smoking. It's your opportunity to get in touch with yourself and hear your own thoughts. Stop being a go-getter and see what you can learn.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Taking it slow begins with the first light. I find that if I kiss the tobacco with the flame, rather than trying to get the whole surface ignited, it starts me off on the right foot. A few more light touches and the bowl keeps going with the least effort and most flavor. Sometimes, if the bowl is properly packed, I don't need to tamp.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
People used to think I was crazy for suggesting that newbies start off with a clay pipe for that reason. If you can smoke a clay to where you can keep it cool, you've become an expert, IMO. But, if you watch the WAYS thread, smoking clay pipes seem to make some people crazy, ha ha.
@cosmicfolklore Are you thinking of me? My first pipe was a clay although it didn't take long for me to break my first clay pipe! I'd like to see how long I can make a clay pipe of baccy last as well...

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It's true. The slower I smoke, the more I salivate. Literally and figuratively. I've slowed my cadence down a lot this past year, and the difference is unbelieveable. I first learned to smoke slowly, the first time I smoked in our brand new lease. I was pretty much trying to hide the fact that I was smoking it, while sitting right next to her. I had been smoking Briar fox for a few years at that point, and I never tasted it like that before.

Yadkin1765

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2022
Maine
Taking it slow begins with the first light. I find that if I kiss the tobacco with the flame, rather than trying to get the whole surface ignited, it starts me off on the right foot. A few more light touches and the bowl keeps going with the least effort and most flavor. Sometimes, if the bowl is properly packed, I don't need to tamp.
Great point here. Get good flavor from the get go by not scorching the leaf by trying to build a massive cherry, instead grow comfortable with intermittent delicately delivered relights as needed.

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I have a question about lighting and keeping your pipe lit but I don’t know how to formulate the question. Does going as slow as possible mean more relights? Do you start very slow as well? I’ve burnt my tongue lighting my pipe recently just out of frustration, especially lighting flakes. But the real question is about going slow and relights.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I have a question about lighting and keeping your pipe lit but I don’t know how to formulate the question. Does going as slow as possible mean more relights? Do you start very slow as well? I’ve burnt my tongue lighting my pipe recently just out of frustration, especially lighting flakes. But the real question is about going slow and relights.
No. Not any more than usual. Nothing wrong with relights other than they are annoying. The thing to do is finding out how you can smoke slower first. It's frustrating, but so is tongue bites. You can control how fast or how slow you can breath. And volume of air going in and out of your mouth. Same thing with pipe smoking. Slow down and just sip. Let the smoke just flow into your mouth. And you can control this pretty easy. Might take some time, but you have been breathing your whole life!