I Just Got a Court Summons......For Jury Duty.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

60 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
60 Fresh Peterson Pipes
3 Fresh Dirk Heinemann Pipes
18 Fresh IMP Meerschaum Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
When I opened the letter all I read was that I've been summoned to appear at Truro Crown Court 9am Monday 12th February and I panicked wondering who I'd upset enough for this to happen.

Only when I got my magnifyer out did I read the jury duty bit and the panic was over. That said, apparently I'll be fined £1,000 if I fail to turn up :oops:

Much as I'd like to take part in a jury trial (not as the accused this time) I'm going to have to decline their kind offer (*sarcasm*) as I've not been out of my front door in nigh on 4 years and unless they will provide me a taxi from my door and back again I'll not be turning up.....nor paying the fine.

There are no details of the case obviously but the letter tells me it is likely to last at least 10 days but possibly longer so it must be something pretty serious.

By all accounts it pays well, something like £65 per day plus food/drink monies and travel expenses!

Anyone here done jury duty, if so how was it?

Jay.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Been summoned 8 or 9 times. Been seated twice, but plea deals during the lunch break sent us home, or back to the bullpen. Been dismissed twice, and not called the rest of the time.
Frankly, after seeing the shenanigans I’ve seen during the jury selection process I’d be terrified of being at the mercy of 12 psychopathic brain donors if I was lucky, and worse if I wasn’t.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Frankly, after seeing the shenanigans I’ve seen during the jury selection process I’d be terrified of being at the mercy of 12 psychopathic brain donors
I don't think that happens here Jesse, by which I mean out of a pool of 14 jurors, only 12 are used and neither side (prosecution or defence) gets any say as to who is selected and who isn't, that being the judge's prerogative.

I've seen/read about the jury selection process in the States and it really is a pretty nasty process with folk being treated as if they themselves are on trial!

We don't do that plea deal nonsense either, you're either innocent or guilty, and if the latter, punished accordingly.

Jay.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I served on a jury in a trial of a man accused of selling LSD at a concert. It seemed clear to me that he was guilty; however, my fellow jurors seemed more interested in putting the police on trial and in getting back to their daily lives, businesses, et al, and so a hung jury verdict was delivered. In all, it was a very disappointing and frustrating experience.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Take your pipe tool. Mark Irwin was picked this summer for Jury duty. He showed up and the scanner picked up his pipe tool. They told him to discard it, or he can take it back to his car. He showed the later, and walked it back to his car. When he returned, they said he was excused as they had already filled the jury pool. Being a pipe smoker paid off!

Mar 1, 2014
I served on a jury in a trial of a man accused of selling LSD at a concert. It seemed clear to me that he was guilty; however, my fellow jurors seemed more interested in putting the police on trial and in getting back to their daily lives, businesses, et al, and so a hung jury verdict was delivered. In all, it was a very disappointing and frustrating experience.
I've heard the only thing you need to do to get out of jury duty is tell them you're willing to give what you know is the wrong sentence.
"Jury Nullification"

G

Gimlet

Never been called to jury duty but I was once summonsed as a witness. Dangerous driving case in which a female police officer nearly died and suffered life-changing injuries. Sons of bitches (joy riders in Daddy's car) got off with slapped wrists but I was happy to testify and try and do my bit for justice and would again if asked, whether from the witness box or the jury seats.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
It's boggling my mind how someone accused of selling LSD would be on trial. Drug trafficking cases are typically handled pre-trial. Was this in the 60s or 70s?

Reactions: MattRVA and jpmcwjr

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Were it not for the BBC I'd not have a modicum of knowledge regarding your justice system. But, here is my take on a summons jury duty in the US. There is a mechanism for being excused at most every stage of the selection process. Look into it.

Medical issues, family responsibilities, your profession, and even your philosophical bent may be valid reasons for the system to rescind your summons to duty or, if you must appear, to excuse you from serving on a jury. Check!

My age now precludes me from such a summons. Mental acuity? Or simply an act of benevolence by various governments? Or, maybe they simply tired of my appearances in their courts.

Last edited:

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Back in the mid 80's I was selected as an alternate juror. On the third day of the trial, I became extremely ill and was excused.

A second time, everyone was released after lunch and told not to come back.

• Wow
Reactions: mawnansmiff

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
NYC, 1975..... Methadone was in the news big time, and was supposed to aid in getting folks off heroin. There were clinics with that name!

I was summoned for jury duty in lower Manhattan. I was dismissed during the voir-dire by the prosecution.

A week later, I was summoned for jury duty in lower Manhattan. I was dismissed during the voir-dire by the defense.

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
NYC, 1975..... Methadone was in the news big time, and was supposed to aid in getting folks off heroin. There were clinics with that name!

I was summoned for jury duty in lower Manhattan. I was dismissed during the voir-dire by the prosecution.

A week later, I was summoned for jury duty in lower Manhattan. I was dismissed during the voir-dire by the defense.
1703689261749.gif

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Prior to my current career I’d been summoned four times.

Got seated once. Just before opening arguments the defense attorneys asked for a brief break.

We were dismissed for what I thought was going to be a few minutes. About an hour later we were released by the judge and thanked for our service.

In my current profession I get to explain what I see at a fire scene and why it matters.

I always pick out two jurors and focus my explanations on them. I look for their body language.

Jurors are an interesting mix of humanity