I Just Got a Court Summons......For Jury Duty.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
2 Fresh J. Alan Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
24 Fresh Ropp Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

G

Gimlet

I'd just swallow the inconvenience and do it willingly. Our justice systems rests on the principle of trial by a jury of one's peers. If no one turned up to do the job anyone on trial would be faced with little more than a politically appointed court martial.
Everyone is innocent until proven guilty. If, God forbid, I was ever in the dock I'd rather have my fate decided by twelve good men and true than a panel of state officials. You go to Beijing or Moscow for that.

My last time on jury, the bailiff told us that there were no cases for that week. We would all just be sent home with a check. But, if there happened to be a case come up, which was 99% unlikely, we would be called to return. Then, he said, if anyone would still like to plead their case against serving, we would all have to set there till it was over. Otherwise, we could leave.
Low and behold a bunch of morons got in line with doctors notes, obvious lies, and etc etc… instead of just taking their check and going home, the braindead morons of the world held us there for an extra two hours. Even the judge kept telling them how stupid they were, but they kept coming. All ages, races, sexes, and religions…stupid stupid stupid.

It was at that point that I realized that we were doomed, and there was no point in saving the world.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'd just swallow the inconvenience and do it willingly. Our justice systems rests on the principle of trial by a jury of one's peers.
I get the gravity of the jury process, but I genuinely have serious health issues that should exclude me from service.

If I haven't left my front door in four years, there is a reason for that and though jury duty is a serious matter, it's not serious enough to me to make me leave my home and suffer all the inconvenience that would go with that.

I'll give them a ring tomorrow and hope I can get them to see sense.

Jay.

BigEd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2023
Franklin, TN
I got called once years ago. I got asked if I was acquainted with anyone involved in the trial. Only that the DA signed my Masonic petition and I went to church with and spent every Christmas Eve with the Public Defender and her family. But since I was really good friends with both of them I felt I could be impartial. Was told to have a nice day. 🤣

Aug 1, 2012
I got a summons once. It was while I was working overseas and my dumb*** father in law who was supposed to check the mail left it for over a month. I came home to a bench warrant and had a lot of work explaining that not only did my FIL not check the mail, I had been overseas. I did offer to fulfill the rest of the time but they would have to pay over $2,500 in mileage for me to get there. That one did the trick and they excused me from the jury duty and canceled the bench warrant.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I get the gravity of the jury process, but I genuinely have serious health issues that should exclude me from service.

If I haven't left my front door in four years, there is a reason for that and though jury duty is a serious matter, it's not serious enough to me to make me leave my home and suffer all the inconvenience that would go with that.

Jay.
I have no doubt it will not be a problem, just a matter of verification on your part, same as anyone else. Good luck!

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I got a summons a little over a year ago. Was actually interested and excited for the experience, and had gotten clearance from work to go. But when I called for more info, a recorded message told me I was no longer needed. That’s all there is to that story. I’d like to do it at least once in my life.

G

Gimlet

Jay.
That's an entirely different matter. If your health isn't up to it you should be excused immediately.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My last time on jury, the bailiff told us that there were no cases for that week. We would all just be sent home with a check. But, if there happened to be a case come up, which was 99% unlikely, we would be called to return. Then, he said, if anyone would still like to plead their case against serving, we would all have to set there till it was over. Otherwise, we could leave.
Low and behold a bunch of morons got in line with doctors notes, obvious lies, and etc etc… instead of just taking their check and going home, the braindead morons of the world held us there for an extra two hours. Even the judge kept telling them how stupid they were, but they kept coming. All ages, races, sexes, and religions…stupid stupid stupid.

It was at that point that I realized that we were doomed, and there was no point in saving the world.
This is the same experience that I had when called to jury duty, the close up and personal with mass stupidity and pointless dishonesty and chicanery. This apparently is normal.
One of my favorites was the narcoleptic that got seated and slept through the rest of the selection process and had to be lifted out of the way when he fell asleep in front of the doors to the courtroom. The judge was convinced he was faking and threatened him with incarceration, during which the narcoleptic fell asleep. All manner of circus acts go on in court.

bobomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2023
Colombia
roberthunt.com
I sat on a couple of juries. One was a divorce case where the mom and the 16 yr old son conspired together to prevent the dad from having any relationship. After hearing the evidence, it was obvious the mom and son were doing the dad wrong. We denied her full custody petition.

The other was a murder case. A couple of young guys knocked on the door of an older couple who were preparing dinner. They pretended they needed to use the phone but instead chased them around the house and murdered them. Their excuse was they just wanted to know what it was like to kill someone. Pretty crazy. Having to view the evidence for something like that is not something I would care to do again. Both found guilty of course and sentenced to life with no parole.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
In the States, if you have serious health issues that would impare your adequately serving you can get an exemption ... if serious enough you can apply for a permanent exemption which has to be approved by a Judge. Its not uncommon. Two of my relatives have permanent exemptions for serious health and were removed from the lists.

Reactions: mawnansmiff
G

Gimlet

In the States, if you have serious health issues that would impare your adequately serving you can get an exemption ... if serious enough you can apply for a permanent exemption which has to be approved by a Judge. Its not uncommon. Two of my relatives have permanent exemptions for serious health and were removed from the lists.
We probably have the same here but to utilise such a procedure requires public servants to turn up at their desks and most of them are still pulling covid sickies to "work" from home in their pyjamas on full pay.

Reactions: paulfg

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I was summoned about 10 years ago. Lasted for about 2 weeks before we were all dismissed by the judge for failing to come to a unanimous decision.
I enjoyed it. I was financially reimbursed my wage, plenty of tea and biscuits. The only downside was the uncomfortable seating in the courthouse. If Truro has the same old victorian wooden pews as Hereford, I doubt you'd be physically able to do it Jay.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
We probably have the same here but to utilise such a procedure requires public servants to turn up at their desks and most of them are still pulling covid sickies to "work" from home in their pyjamas on full pay.
The expression 'Nice work if you can get it' ...comes to mind ! (Here its all done by mail with Doctor's note stating reasons that preclude full service). I'm addressing physical needs/disabilities ... not faking it. I don't know/don't want to know but O.P. has hinted at something more serious than simply not wanting to attend and therefore might qualify. Just a suggestion worth 2 cents adjusted for current inflation.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I've been called four times but never selected. I think it is something about being white and who has served on served on several court martials while in the Army.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Ever since I got the summons for jury duty I paid extra attention the the local news bulletins at 6:30 every evening.

Pretty soon I realised the case involved the murder of an innocent guy trying to break up a fight outside a nightclub in the town of Bodmin (about 40 miles away).

Every night there were more details revealed as the case dragged on in the court and it really was pretty serious with the knifeman and two females being charged with murder/assisting an offender.

After hearing all the evidence it became pretty clear all three were guilty and sure enough the jury found them so.

Well it all came to a head the other day when all 3 re-appeared at court for sentencing. The main culprit got the usual sentence for murder which is life imprisonment, and in his case the minimum he will serve afore applying for parole was given as 28 years which means he will be around 53 afore he can be considered for release.

My summons letter stated the case would last about 10 days but it was more like 30 days! Do I regret not taking part? In a way yes but I just knew it would be impractical for me to do so.

Jay.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I have been summoned numerous times over the years for jury duty in nearly all branches of the court system. For the 21 years that I worked for a newspaper, that was enough to be dismissed prior to court day. SinceI left the paper, I’ve been self-employed. Serving on a jury could be devastating to my business, especially a Grand Jury, so that got me excused. County court is usually a quick trial for traffic offences, etc, so I didn’t contest it, but me being me, they had little interest in my take on reality and let me go after lunch on the first day.

• Haha