PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I’ve been making my way through the past episodes and it’s been really interesting to hear these old interviews. I thought it’d be nice to have an active thread where people can comment on older episodes they’re listening to or to recommend some of the past episodes.

A few of my recent-listened-to favorites:

Ep. 21: Marty Pulvers was an absolute hoot. I would’ve loved to visit his shop.

Ep. 36: I didn’t realize Marco of Novelli worked that closely with Castello. I found out about their online store just earlier this year so it was a pleasant surprise to hear him on the show. As someone who’s just started to have an interest in Castello I found this very informative.

Ep. 37: Fred Hanna was so pleasant and informative and I loved the joy that he had both in the topic of nicotine and the banter with Brian. Fred seems like he would be just a delight to share a bowl with.

Ep. 38: Tokutomi was so charming even through a translator. I could really understand what Brian meant when he said Tokutomi was very humble. Also, how can you not love a bluegrass playing pipe carving master. And hearing about the family business taking off was just heartwarming. I still don’t think I’ll ever own a Tokutomi (not because I don’t desire one) but I hope he and his family’s carving legacy continues to many more generations.

Ep. 39: I’m grateful for guys like Paul Creasy fighting on our behalf and educating the policy makers about how they could inadvertently harm or destroy the pipe industry. I love his jolly banter with Brian and like Fred, seemed like he would be a delight to share a bowl with.

Anyway, share some of your thoughts on the oldies!

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
I love the Fred Hanna shows too. I had read his book already when I first heard that episode. So I was already a fan, and I really appreciate how he is such a great ambassador for our hobby.

But my favorite episode was #155 which featured Perique farmer Brandon Gravois, from St. James Parish, Louisiana. He was a great guest in a "do not judge a book by its cover" kinda way. There was just something so wholesome about the way he spoke. He kept calling Brian Levine "Mr. Brian". He spoke simply, but was a real wealth of knowledge. I actually went back and listened to the episode a second time. Great show.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Eo 44: Makis Minetos was a very enjoyable guest. His way of speaking was charming and kindly like an older gentleman, though at the time of the interview he was quite young judging from the photo and the stated age of his children. I don’t know the state of his company now but I would love to hear an update.

Reactions: Zero and yanoJL

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
I especially appreciate the Lee Von Erck and Tom Eltang interviews.
Both seem down to earth with a sense of humor, plus I'm a big fan of their work.

There is also several members here I would like to hear on the show.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I especially appreciate the Lee Von Erck and Tom Eltang interviews.
Both seem down to earth with a sense of humor, plus I'm a big fan of their work.
Can you please point me to the Von Erck episode(s)?

Lee resides in Michigan and I've always been intrigued by home state carvers. I have a Cayuga from Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint and a Malaga from a defunct company in Royal Oak.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Very novel thread topic. I hope it picks up traction.

The shows are hit and miss for me so I'm looking forward to the recommendations.
Best way to do that would be to make a “Past Episode of the Week” thread.

Someone would have to take responsibility for picking an episode and posting the link each week.

Reactions: jbfrady

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Just listened to 85 with Todd Johnson and Pete Prevost which talked about the launch of BriarWorks International. Not sure what happened to the Icarus and Neptune lines. Anyone know?

Reactions: Zero

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
Just listened to 85 with Todd Johnson and Pete Prevost which talked about the launch of BriarWorks International. Not sure what happened to the Icarus and Neptune lines. Anyone know?
I think they stopped producing them...🤣 I really don't know, but they do pop up on estates from time to time. Screenshot_20240319-220232.pngScreenshot_20240319-220119.png

Last edited:
Reactions: AroEnglish

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I've listened to every episode of the show and only first 30 were mediocre. Not because it wasn't a good show but because it was only 45 minutes in length. Now that it is 60–70-minute show it is much better. Tonight's episode it #601. The show has become a gem.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I've listened to every episode of the show and only first 30 were mediocre. Not because it wasn't a good show but because it was only 45 minutes in length. Now that it is 60–70-minute show it is much better. Tonight's episode it #601. The show has become a gem.
I think the only rough part about some of the early shows was the sound quality. I was listening to Lee Von Erck’s interview but didn’t get too far before switching to the next episode. I’m guessing these episodes were recorded over the phone rather than over the internet which was probably what they could manage at the time.

Reactions: kcghost

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Is there an index of past podcasts, and the ability to listen to them?
The only things I know of are the show page and a general podcast page (like Spotify)

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Ep. 87: I recognized the name Quinton Wells but couldn't place where I had heard it. I then realized that I'd had someone recommend him as a carver to contact.

The Kansas City pipe show sounds like it was really amazing and I wish it were still around.

The 7-day set idea is also a brilliant way to promote new carvers. I wonder if there is any show that continues this tradition.

joefrazier

Lurker
May 7, 2024
I’ve been making my way through the past episodes and it’s been really interesting to hear these old interviews. I thought it’d be nice to have an active thread where people can comment on older episodes they’re listening to or to recommend some of the past episodes.

A few of my recent-listened-to favorites:

Ep. 21: Marty Pulvers was an absolute hoot. I would’ve loved to visit his shop.

Ep. 36: I didn’t realize Marco of Novelli worked that closely with Castello. I found out about their online store just earlier this year so it was a pleasant surprise to hear him on the show. As someone who’s just started to have an interest in Castello I found this very informative.

Ep. 37: Fred Hanna was so pleasant and informative and I loved the joy that he had both in the topic of nicotine and the banter with Brian. Fred seems like he would be just a delight to share a bowl with.

Ep. 38: Tokutomi was so charming even through a translator. I could really understand what Brian meant when he said Tokutomi was very humble. Also, how can you not love a bluegrass playing pipe carving master. And hearing about the family business taking off was just heartwarming. I still don’t think I’ll ever own a Tokutomi (not because I don’t desire one) but I hope he and his family’s carving legacy continues to many more generations.

Ep. 39: I’m grateful for guys like Paul Creasy fighting on our behalf and educating the policy makers about how they could inadvertently harm or destroy the pipe industry. I love his jolly banter with Brian and like Fred, seemed like he would be a delight to share ddd 91 qual estado a bowl with.

Anyway, share some of your thoughts on the oldies!
"Hey everyone! Welcome to our past episodes discussion thread for [insert name of the show/podcast]. Whether you're a new fan catching up or a seasoned viewer revisiting old favorites, this is the place to share your thoughts, theories, and favorite moments from previous episodes. Did a particular plot twist leave you reeling? Were there subtle details you noticed upon rewatching? Let's dive into the intricacies of the storyline, character development, and everything in between. Remember to use spoiler tags for any major revelations to keep the discussion enjoyable for everyone!"

• Haha
Reactions: AroEnglish

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Ep. 87: I recognized the name Quinton Wells but couldn't place where I had heard it. I then realized that I'd had someone recommend him as a carver to contact.

The Kansas City pipe show sounds like it was really amazing and I wish it were still around.

The 7-day set idea is also a brilliant way to promote new carvers. I wonder if there is any show that continues this tradition.

Quinton was the president of the KC club for many years. At its peak the club had 130 paid members. He's also a seasoned carver, expert cigar roller, and was the organizer, and director of the KC show for its entire 20-year run.

The 7-day set contest was held every year for ten years straight, and the winning set was featured in P&T magazine with full pics in a multi-page color layout each time. It wasn't necessarily for new carvers. Many of the hobby's "household name" pipe makers entered many times. There were definitely several "breakout" entries that went far to help new guys become established as the Real Deal, though. (There were usually between 45 and 60 entries from around the world)

I was the head judge of the contest from the second year on, and brought Greg Pease on board in the third year for its final eight. A number of world-class makers and collectors served as the third judge. Among them were Adam Davidson, Chuck Stanion, Tad Gage, and Rex Poggenpohl.

It was, indeed, amazing, and I also wish it was still around. COVID was the killer.

I don't know of any contest like it that's being done today.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Quinton was the president of the KC club for many years. At its peak the club had 130 paid members. He's also a seasoned carver, expert cigar roller, and was the organizer, and director of the KC show for its entire 20-year run.

The 7-day set contest was held every year for ten years straight, and the winning set was featured in P&T magazine with full pics in a multi-page color layout each time. It wasn't necessarily for new carvers. Many of the hobby's "household name" pipe makers entered many times. There were definitely several "breakout" entries that went far to help new guys become established as the Real Deal, though. (There were usually between 45 and 60 entries from around the world)

I was the head judge of the contest from the second year on, and brought Greg Pease on board in the third year for its final eight. A number of world-class makers and collectors served as the third judge. Among them were Adam Davidson, Chuck Stanion, Tad Gage, and Rex Poggenpohl.

It was, indeed, amazing, and I also wish it was still around. COVID was the killer.

I don't know of any contest like it that's being done today.
Thanks for the info, George. What's the current size of the KC club? And any chance someone there would resurrect the KC show?

Also, I think @brianlevine and @daveinlax should resurrect the 7-day set for the LVIPS.