PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Still watching UFC. Sort of annoyed with myself—I rubbed the Plum Pudding out a bit too much this week and got just under four hours of smoking time out of the BST instead of the typical five hours. Oh well. Going to have Condor Original Ready Rubbed in a Missouri Meerschaum/Cornell & Diehl Collaboration Charles Towne Cobbler Corn Cob as I watch the rest of the event.

20240323_232408.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
The next smoke was another bowl of Penzance

This time in the Moretti morta Rhodesian
1E219CE1-6D76-4BCC-9B25-710966F3DCB1.jpeg

So how did both bowls go ?

Both bowls did not need re-lights.
And both smoked to ash with the help of Nording Keystones.
No cleaners were needed mid-smoke

The smoke in the briar was pretty much one dimensional. By the halfway mark, I was getting bored, but finished the bowl for the sake of the comparison.

Wow, what a difference the morta made !
At once more complex and nuanced. An almost mentholated, incense character on the soft palate and back of the throat. Most enjoyable

Henceforth mortas will be my preferred pipes for Penzance.
Along with older Britwoods with bone-tenons or narrower airways

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
The next smoke was another bowl of Penzance

This time in the Moretti morta Rhodesian
View attachment 298008

So how did both bowls go ?

Both bowls did not need re-lights.
And both smoked to ash with the help of Nording Keystones.
No cleaners were needed mid-smoke

The smoke in the briar was pretty much one dimensional. By the halfway mark, I was getting bored, but finished the bowl for the sake of the comparison.

Wow, what a difference the morta made !
At once more complex and nuanced. An almost mentholated, incense character on the soft palate and back of the throat. Most enjoyable

Henceforth mortas will be my preferred pipes for Penzance.
Along with older Britwoods with bone-tenons or narrower airways
Interesting, thanks for the report.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Did a little low calorie snacking, and have passed the half way mark of this bowl of year 2014 Dan Tobacco Hamborger Veermaster in a smooth straight brown 1950 Dunhill 48 bulldog group 4 root briar with a black vulcanite fish tail saddle stem. Have enough left for one more bowl. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Dunhill_1950_root-bulldog48.jpg

Sam the Scamp is wanting more breaks from her babies. Being as much feral as not, she prefers to be outside. During her second break this afternoon, she had her first encounter with Daisy the Feral Princess. Daisy hates Sam, and there was a stand off until I broke it up. Sam ran to the door to go outside, and Daisy went to the kitchen to eat. Sam had three outside breaks today. The babies are getting bigger. One dark hair and one yellow baby have opened their eyes.
Sam&DaisyStandoff.jpg
HarryOpenEyes1.jpg
OrangeOpenEyes1.jpg
BabyHuddle1.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A third of the way through this bowl of Watch City Original Crumb Cut in a 1950s-60s straight smooth brown Bertram 07 octagonal paneled billiard with a square shank and a tapered black vulcanite stem. I may end the day with this smoke.
Bertram_07 _panel_billiard.jpg

Tomato the Brave used to wear a bow tie courtesy of his former “owners”. Those “people” removed it when they decided that they didn’t own him any more. Tonight, we decided he needed one.
TomatoBTSide.jpg
TomatoBTFront1.jpg

Much later, Abner the Eager was comfortably relaxing outside when I heard howling noises. Harry the Hairy was moaning loudly, and Abner was growling back. They stopped when I got near them. Harry jumped down, I picked Abner up and brought him inside. Harry wanted inside, but that would mostly certainly be difficult because he’s an alpha male. But, he was happy to see me, and even happier when I fed him. Abner was happy to eat, and snooze on my lap.
AbnerLapFull.jpg
AbnerLap Awake2.jpg

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
More Salty Dogs in a clay for breakfast 😁View attachment 297777
@Speak Easy Sounds like a Clay King's breakfast:)
MacBaren Royal Twist in a clay for mine; definitely a baccy for the King's Clay!
Drawn a picture of the Neptune pub yesterday; going to colour it in today ready to take there tonight!
Jay says I can have some beer for it if it's any good!

ThebigFil

Lurker
Feb 15, 2024
UK SW Plymouth
Been out shopping today with the Wife so I was living on Copenhagen Pouches for awhile today.
Now back home loading a bowl of Haddo’s Delight after seeing @HeavyLeadBelly ’s post it triggered a hankering for it so might as well be. Castello KK 10 Old Sea RockView attachment 294606
What is it about Haddo's that you like? I've been finding it boring at best. 😂

Speak Easy

Lifer
Jan 12, 2024
Western Oklahoma
@Speak Easy Sounds like a Clay King's breakfast:)
MacBaren Royal Twist in a clay for mine; definitely a baccy for the King's Clay!
Drawn a picture of the Neptune pub yesterday; going to colour it in today ready to take there tonight!
Jay says I can have some beer for it if it's any good!
Sweet! I’ve yet to try the Royal Twist, but it’s on my list. How is that bigger bowl treating you?

Hopefully your picture is good enough for a couple beers!

Last edited:

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Sweet! I’ve yet to try the Royal Twist, but it’s on my list. How is that bigger bowl treating you?

Hopefully your picture is good enough for a couple beers!
@Speak Easy I like the bigger bowl; it holds a bit more leaf. I might take it to Nottingham Pipe Show and get a free fill of Gawith Hoggarth in it. I'd like to fill it and see how long it takes to smoke a full bowl. I'll have to get some loose Gawith Hoggarth & some pipe cleaners in Buxton. Do you think I should get a Giant Clay - and @Tate says I should take it to Nottingham Pipe Show and ask for a free fill of Gawith Hoggarth in it:)

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Now the tobacconist in Chesterfield is closing I'll have to go to Buxton for my Gawith Hoggarth & pipe cleaners. I'll need to go to Buxton before I meet Jason the blacksmith again - or I could get a tin of Erinmore Flake in Chesterfield as the local Bargain Booze sells it in 50g tins. It will either be Gawith Hoggarth or Erinmore Flake in the clay when I meet the Vikings & Redcoats this year. They should all be good lit from the blacksmith's forge:)

Status
Not open for further replies.