Replacing a Kaywoodie Stem With Logo and Stinger.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
A friend asked me to make a new stem for this 1930’s Thorn. Here’s some pictures of the logo transfer process. The new stem is black acrylic hand cut from rod stock. The original stinger was used on the new stem.

Here’s the new stem roughed out. IMG_9821.jpegIMG_9822.jpeg
Removing the logo from the old stem with a very fine back saw.IMG_9823.jpegIMG_9824.jpeg
Sanding the back of the removed stem section to access the back of the logo.IMG_9825.jpegIMG_9826.jpegIMG_9828.jpegIMG_9829.jpeg
Setting the logo in the new stem. First it was super glued in place with a very small amount of CA leaving a cavity all the way around the logo. IMG_9830.jpegIMG_9831.jpeg
Then the cavity was filled with G Flex marine epoxy w/black pigment.IMG_9832.jpeg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Awesome work as always! Please keep em coming!

Kaywoodies will forever have a place in my rack. That one is a fantastic specimen.

But I gotta ask; Was it really easier to take the old logo out, rather than start new, with drilling, filler etc? It seemed overly complicated to my uncreative pipe smoking brain.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Awesome work as always! Please keep em coming!

Kaywoodies will forever have a place in my rack. That one is a fantastic specimen.

But I gotta ask; Was it really easier to take the old logo out, rather than start new, with drilling, filler etc? It seemed overly complicated to my uncreative pipe smoking brain.
Trying to carve the logo into the stem drilln' fill style would be nearly impossible to do from scratch. you'd have to drill it nearly perfectly and carve the tiny clover stem and then what you're left with is enamel paint that will disappear the first time its buffed. That might work ok for dots and other simple shapes but not for a complex shapes like a KW clover.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Very cool. Always wondered if this was possible. Love my old push stem Thorn's with great blasts but not the vulcanite.
I’ve never had any problems with old KB&B Vulcanite but I have had issues with other brands that some people don’t. I think it all comes down to body chemistry and how you care for your pipes. The original stem on this one was chomped through completely so total replacement was the only option and the owner wanted acrylic.

Push stem Thorns are where it’s at!

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I’ve never had any problems with old KB&B Vulcanite but I have had issues with other brands that some people don’t. I think it all comes down to body chemistry and how you care for your pipes. The original stem on this one was chomped through completely so total replacement was the only option and the owner wanted acrylic.

Push stem Thorns are where it’s at!
The acrylic stem is very becoming !