PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I purchased this pipe with the intention of adding it to my personal collection. It just arrived from a contact in the UK. I like my pipes on the larger size, but this one is way to magnum for me. It's 8" long, with an ID of just over 1", and a bowl height of 3.5"! I am going to sell it, but was hoping to glean some info from somebody who knows more than me. The COM stamp (circle with “MADE” at the top, “IN” in the middle, and “LONDON” at the bottom, with “ENGLAND" in a straight line beneath), according to Pipedia was first used in the early 1950s. It's got the “three-piece C" inlaid on the stem, but the only tells us this is a pre-1980s pipe. The nomenclature (left side of shank) is "77008". Here are some photos:

IMG_3939 2.jpegIMG_3940 2.jpegIMG_3942 2.jpegIMG_3944 2.jpegIMG_3945 2.jpegIMG_3947 2.jpegMade_in_London_England.jpg
(This photo is NOT from the pipe, but is a clearer photo of what the stamp looks like)

IMG_3943 2.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Circle COM over England is 1950's<, three piece C is pre Cadogen <1980's

(From:A HISTORY OF COMOY’S AND A GUIDE TOWARD DATING THE PIPES, By Derek Green)

Specimen Straight Grain
. I am not sure when this grade was first produced, but it probably appeared just before the Second World War. This certainly was the top grade from its introduction. It is described in my 1965 catalogue as “The rarest and finest of all Comoy pipes. It is so unusual to find a completely perfect straight grain that shapes and quantities are strictly limited.” It was priced at $50 in 1943 and 1965. Jacques Cole recalls that, in the 1950s, there was a very large bent that was reckoned to be about the “perfect” Straight Grain. It was not for sale but used as an exhibition piece and valued then at £500.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Circle COM over England is 1950's<, three piece C is pre Cadogen <1980's

(From:A HISTORY OF COMOY’S AND A GUIDE TOWARD DATING THE PIPES, By Derek Green)

Specimen Straight Grain
. I am not sure when this grade was first produced, but it probably appeared just before the Second World War. This certainly was the top grade from its introduction. It is described in my 1965 catalogue as “The rarest and finest of all Comoy pipes. It is so unusual to find a completely perfect straight grain that shapes and quantities are strictly limited.” It was priced at $50 in 1943 and 1965. Jacques Cole recalls that, in the 1950s, there was a very large bent that was reckoned to be about the “perfect” Straight Grain. It was not for sale but used as an exhibition piece and valued then at £500.

This is excellent info. Thanks, brother.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Gorgeous looking pipe!
Reminds me of the ‘Freehands’ & ‘Uniques’ that Comoys & GBD did back in the early 80’s. Cadogan era Comoy’s also have 5 digit serial numbers but the stamping of your serial number looks pre Cadogan. Good luck dating it, could be a 5 pipe problem!

Here’s one of the ‘Uniques’ from the 80’s. Bears a slight resemblance to your comoy.
IMG_7846.jpeg

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Gorgeous looking pipe!
Reminds me of the ‘Freehands’ & ‘Uniques’ that Comoys & GBD did back in the early 80’s. Cadogan era Comoy’s also have 5 digit serial numbers but the stamping of your serial number looks pre Cadogan. Good luck dating it, could be a 5 pipe problem!

Here’s one of the ‘Uniques’ from the 80’s. Bears a slight resemblance to your comoy.
View attachment 305827

I see the resemblance! Thanks, Simon.