PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Green Hill piper

Can't Leave
Feb 1, 2023
We always check our loose change and have found a surprising amount of silver quarters and dimes. There are some people who buy like two hundred dollars worth of rolled silver dollars from the bank for the same reason. Extra money is out there if you know how to find it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I would assume that, by now, there are automated money scanners that pick up on any and all anomalies. A machine like that, running 24/7, could make a quick return on investment. Of course, the gubbmint probably does this already to remove damaged and defaced bills and coins. And to cover up the mint's mistakes.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Back in '92, I went to my bank to get $1K in C-notes to buy a bass guitar from a guy who was selling it via newspaper want ad. (meaning decided to buy it after checking it out, of course).

The teller laid the bills out on the counter, and I immediately saw something was different about one of them. (Money being uniform by definition, it wasn't hard to spot)

I pointed it out, the teller called his manager over, and then he called over someone else, and after eyeballing the bill for a couple minutes the last guy took it into an office and started going through some books. He finally came back out and announced it was a fine condition silver certificate of some rare(ish) serial number, had almost certainly been taken from someone's collection (like a spiteful teenager swiped it from his uncle's framed bills after an argument or something), and it was my lucky day because it was worth considerably more than $100.

Long story short, I sold it for $1400 through a broker/middleman (this was before the Internet/eBay existed) and ended up with $900 for myself while he got $500.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Back in '92, I went to my bank to get $1K in C-notes to buy a bass guitar from a guy who was selling it via newspaper want ad. (meaning decided to buy it after checking it out, of course).

The teller laid the bills out on the counter, and I immediately saw something was different about one of them. (Money being uniform by definition, it wasn't hard to spot)

I pointed it out, the teller called his manager over, and then he called over someone else, and after eyeballing the bill for a couple minutes the last guy took it into an office and started going through some books. He finally came back out and announced it was a fine condition silver certificate of some rare(ish) serial number, had almost certainly been taken from someone's collection (like a spiteful teenager swiped it from his uncle's framed bills after an argument or something), and it was my lucky day because it was worth considerably more than $100.

Long story short, I sold it for $1400 through a broker/middleman (this was before the Internet/eBay existed) and ended up with $900 for myself while he got $500.
Did you buy the bass?

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Back in the late 90's I was going to a lot of small, local banks- in about a 75 mile radius. I would ask the teller if they had any half dollars. Most were glad to be rid of them and I purchased whatever they had, sometimes a few thousand dollars worth. I found a BUNCH of 90% silver ones -Walking Liberties, Franklins, and the more common 1964 Kennedys. Sometimes the whole roll would be silver. I ended up with 5 or 6 hundred silver halves. It was a lot of fun..............

• Love
Reactions: mawnansmiff