PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Title edited for caps. Please read rule 9.

I love Skiff and other Gawiths. Anyone actually like the vintage shag cut though? I find it a hassle to get correct proportions and the smaller pieces of latakia fall to the bottom of the jar. It's hard to keep consistent and you have to tear the tobacco to sift it apart(messes with the tobacco oils). The bottom of the jar actually ends up being a fuller blend with higher lat content. Quite tasty actually. That's my only gripe with it. Squadron Leader used to be a coarser cut years ago and it was better to work with. Now it's that shag too. Anyone feel the same way or have a better way of dealing with it?

Last edited by a moderator:

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Squadron Leader is now a shag? From what I've read from the Gawith representative, they've been doing lots of consolidating in terms of ingredients and formats. I should think a shag cut would create a significantly different smoke for an English blend like that.

Reactions: hoipolloiglasgow

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I bought a tin relatively recently (maybe a year ago?) and it wasn't a shag cut, so if this has changed it's very recent.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Squadron Leader is now a shag? From what I've read from the Gawith representative, they've been doing lots of consolidating in terms of ingredients and formats. I should think a shag cut would create a significantly different smoke for an English blend like that.
Yep, it has been for a few years now. Same cut as Skiff. And I agree. Not to bash though, I'm just happy they're still alive and kicking.

jaingorenard

Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I'd say it's ribbon rather than shag (we don't really get much real shag pipe tobacco in the UK anymore as it's taxed higher).

Having just looked at a jar of Skiff I have from a few years ago, that does look slightly coarser with more larger pieces than the most recent Squadron Leader tin I opened (which is more uniform ribbon cut).

Reactions: jpberg

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I'd say it's ribbon rather than shag (we don't really get much real shag pipe tobacco in the UK anymore as it's taxed higher).

Having just looked at a jar of Skiff I have from a few years ago, that does look slightly coarser with more larger pieces than the most recent Squadron Leader tin I opened (which is more uniform ribbon cut).
Maybe they do call it ribbon. Either way I have trouble with it in smaller bowls. My recent Squadron Leader looks the same as Skiff.

Reactions: jaingorenard

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
Just to clarify, there is a usual shag range - this is your Kendal Gold, Dark, Mixed. This is what is termed a shag cut for the UK and most of the world.

HOWEVER for America, shag cut is more the norm and we produce most of our blends as a shag cut just for America. We do not do this for anywhere else.

For the UK and the rest of the world, these are what has been termed Vintage cut in America but is normal pipe tobacco to the rest of the world!

There is no Vintage shag cut - there is either vintage (normal UK pipe tobacco) or shag (finer cut and half way between RYO and usual pipe). Also in the UK the thickness of cut is set by the government for tax reasons.

Vintage cut is the norm for pipe tobacco in the UK and most of the world!! But for some reason the American market prefer shag cut and so we have had to produce special shag cuts for America of pipe tobaccos that would usually (for the Uk and elsewhere) be the usual pipe ribbon cut.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I also prefer the regular Dark Birds Eye (shag) vs. the Vintage (ribbon). I've had both and not noticed much difference in flavor. The shag is just an easier cut to deal with in my book, not that ribbon is very difficult either.

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
I like the Gawith cut a lot. Really pleasant, but there’s not a shag cut tobacco I’ve tried and haven’t liked.

Reactions: MattRVA