PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I’ve looked through all my usual online sources and have come up with nada. Just dropping this here incase someone has one and knows its provenance, or has some hard copy hallmark charts.

Chur

B6C1410B-C65F-4FED-BA20-DEF2FCEB704C.jpeg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Anchor is Birmingham and the link below will get you where you need to go

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Anchor is Birmingham and the link below will get you where you need to go

I got the Birmingham 1908, but it’s the L.R makers/mounters/sponsors mark which has me stumped.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I was so busy being a smartass I forgot to plunk my candidate down on the table. I think there's a decent chance it's Louis Rothman. Here, for once, I don't have to prepare a deep dive since Wikipedia has been kind enough to do it for me: Louis Rothman - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Rothman. And as a famous figure in the tobacco (and especially cigarette) trade there are of course many other sources available online about Rothman's life and career.

What can not be as easily found, however, is an example of Rothman's sponsor's mark. Below is the London hallmark registered by Rothman in 1903, drawn from John Culme's magisterial work The Directory of Gold & Silversmiths: Jewellers and Allied Traders 1838-1914. Unfortunately I don't have a corresponding entry for Birmingham (the records there have never received the Culme treatment) but find this very suggestive:

Rothman hallmark.jpg

Also drawn from Culme's work is a mini Rothman write up (one of thousands such) that he prepared:

Rothman mini bio.jpg

A few quick observations. First I find the oval more persuasive than the Rosenthal rectangle; second we know that Rothman was prominent in the tobacco trade and that his Pall Mall shop sold pipes; by contrast I found nothing to connect Rosenthal with tobacco or pipes. None of that is, as the lawyers say, dispositive. But since we're guessing anyway my money's on Rothman.

By the way, I assume there's nothing else stamped on the briar itself? I ask because worthpoint yielded another pipe with an identical maker's mark, assayed in Birmingham. And this one appears to have scratches on the shank that hover just a hair on the far side of legibility:

Rothman Birmingham hallmark.png.jpg

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
By the way, the worthpoint listing refers to the seller’s pipe as a Pall Mall:

IMG_1596.jpeg

If that’s actually stamped on the briar in the listing that would move Rothman as the source of the band on your pipe from reasonable surmise to certainty. Unfortunately as is generally the case the worthpoint images are so truly terrible that it would take all of the NSA resources years of sustained effort to improve clarity. That’s why I asked if any nomenclature at all is visible on your pipe.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
By the way, the worthpoint listing refers to the seller’s pipe as a Pall Mall:

View attachment 307051

If that’s actually stamped on the briar in the listing that would move Rothman as the source of the band on your pipe from reasonable surmise to certainty. Unfortunately as is generally the case the worthpoint images are so truly terrible that it would take all of the NSA resources years of sustained effort to improve clarity. That’s why I asked if any nomenclature at all is visible on your pipe.

Nicely done, sir.