PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sacred_summit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Hey guys, I have this crumble cut tobacco and I'm not sure how to use it.

It's like little hard square pieces, similar in size as steel cut oats.

1.) Do I rub it out?
2.) Do I gravity drop leaving tons of airflow?
3.) Do I pack it via the triple pack method and really push it down to try and decrease airflow?

I find that if I load it up, the airflow is extremely open. I've tried the triple pack method and the airflow is still very open, but I may not be packing it down hard enough.

I've rubbed it out, but sometimes it packs to firm and I have very little airflow.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 20240429_160514.jpg
    20240429_160514.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240429_160534.jpg
    20240429_160534.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Sacred_summit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Thank you all for chiming in!
Your right. Every time I rubbed it out, it would overpack and draw too tight, and the pipe would get hot quickly! Leaving it be has a looser draw than I'm used to, but it smokes beautifully! Now this was before this morning when I re-learned how to sloooooooowly smoke my pipe and re-read that incredible thread about slow smoking. I'll have to give this crumble cut a go later on with a slow slow slow smoke. I bet the looser draw will be excellent for the breathe method.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
for crumble cakes I sorta half assed rub it out. And gravity fill to the top and less pack down more but more accurately level out the top. I find smoking slightly more aggressively then I would with a ribbon cut helps too. I found you can just put a clump in but it didn't seem to do anything to improve the smoke.

Reactions: kcghost

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
That looks more like a blend that has a fair bit of cube cut tobacco in it rather than a crumble cake. It reminds me of Watch City’s Stubb’s Pipe. Gravity fill it as is, light tamp with your thumb, and you should be fine.