PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York

In the early ’90s, I heard ”Take Five” in a dream—a guy was playing the Paul Desmond part on a trumpet at the wedding of a friend of mine in this dream—though, I didn’t know the name of the tune yet—but it’s what got me into jazz.

I told the art director at Cracked Magazine about the tune in the dream and hummed a few bars. He said, “That sounds like ‘Take Five’ by Dave Brubeck.” I bought the album after that, and subsequently picked up a copy of The Penguin Guide to Jazz and ended up taking a deep dive into the exploration of jazz on CD and LP. I later met Dave and Iola Brubeck after a show at the Blue Note in New York. They very generously signed CDs and LPs for me. Brubeck and Paul Desmond are big faves and deeply represented in my jazz collection.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
David Warren Brubeck was born in Concord, California on December 6, 1920 and died (at the age of 91) on December 5, 2012 in Norwalk, Connecticut. Mr. Brubeck is interred in the Umpawaug Cemetery in Redding, Connecticut.

Here is a link to his memorial on the findagrave.com Website.

Interestingly, Mr. Brubeck was unable to sight-read music.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkeyeLinus
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I love the Time Out cover painting by S. Neil Fujita, who did graphic design for CBS Records back then (around 1959). He also did the painting for the cover of Ah Um by Charles Mingus. Fujita did the dust jacket design for the Ross Macdonald omnibus, Archer in Jeopardy in 1979. I regret not contacting Fujita to have him sign books and LPs (he lived on Long Island, in New York).

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
I love the Time Out cover painting by S. Neil Fujita, who did graphic design for CBS Records back then (around 1959). He also did the painting for the cover of Ah Um by Charles Mingus. Fujita did the dust jacket design for the Ross Macdonald omnibus, Archer in Jeopardy in 1979. I regret not contacting Fujita to have him sign books and LPs (he lived on Long Island, in New York).
That was a damn good Mingus album. Misterioso by Thelonious Monk was an awesome cover and always loved Herbie Hancocks Headhunter too

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've been a Brubeck ban since the mid 1960's when I was in high school. I actually heard Time Out on the radio (AM no less) and really liked it. However when I went to buy it I couldn't find a copy. So I bought his next album, mostly based on the cover art by Joan Miro that I liked. This became my favorite Brubeck album for years, even after I got the Time Out album. I was lucky enough to see him and his quartet in concert in the early 1970's. Great music with some really odd time signatures too. I still listen to his stuff today. His cousin owned a restaurant in San Luis Obispo for awhile while I was living close by in Los Osos. It was called Brubeck's of course, and they had some jazz groups play there from time to time. Life is a grin.
6DD9E53A-F03F-4E94-B859-45CD1F72223D_1_201_a.jpeg